Under Kyushu University Friendship Scholarships Scheme (hereafter “Friendship Scholarship”), Kyushu University supports short-term students and Double Degree Program students from abroad who have less chance to apply for the scholarship supported by private foundations.By offering them a chance to study abroad at Kyushu University, the scheme also aims to motivate the short-term students to conduct their study as degree-seeking students at Kyushu University in the future
Number of Scholars:
Approximately 5 students per term (Depends on the budget)
- Both your period of enrollment at Kyushu University and the length of stay in Japan must be more than 16 days of the month concerned in order to receive a monthly stipend.
- Monthly Stipend80,000 JPY
- Support Period
- 1stTerm: From April, 2020 to September, 2020 (Up to 6 months)
- 2ndTerm: From October, 2020 to March, 2020 (Up to 6 months)
- Travel Expenses
- Travel expenses up to the amount below will be covered (actual cost). The details are as follows;
- Asia(*): Up to 50,000 JPY
- Outside ofAsia: 100,000 JPY
- *The area designated by Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan
- a)Round-trip economy air ticket via the most direct route between Fukuoka and the location of the recipient’s university.
- Air tickets and transportation fees in the recipient’s home country will not apply unless receipts and other proof of purchase are made.
- b)Incidental Expenses only expenses incurred through visas, travel taxes, and airport taxes will be borne by Kyushu University. In the event that receipts and proof of payment are not submitted, these expenses will not be covered
An applicant must meet all of the following eligibilities.
- Students who are enrolled in non-Japanese universities.
- Students who are talented in need of financial assistance.
- Students who can be accepted by undergraduate school or graduate school of Kyushu Universityas Special Auditors, Special Research Students or Double Degree Program students.
- Students who are considering to study as degree-seeking students at Kyushu University in the future. (Only for Special Auditors and Special Research Students)
- Students who have been successfully accepted or are under the procedure of acceptance at Kyushu University as of the application for this scholarship.
- Students who can pay the tuition fee in case they come from the universities which doesn’t have agreement of student exchange with Kyushu University.
- Students who have applied for student exchange program in case they come from the universities which have the agreement of student exchange with Kyushu University.(In principle)
- Students whose terms of study ismore than 3 months and status of Visa is “College Students”in Japan.
- Application Form (Form 1)
- Official academic transcript (in English)
- Letter of recommendation(No fixed form, within A4 sized 1 page)
- *Written by the potential supervisor at Kyushu University.
How to Apply:
- Find a potential supervisor from who you wish to have instruction during your study term at Kyushu University. Those who don’t find a potential supervisor can’t apply for this scholarship.[Reference]Academic Staff Educational and Research Activities Database http://hyoka.ofc.kyushu-u.ac.jp/search/index_e.html
- Contact the potential supervisor by e-mail or other ways, and obtain his/her consent to be your supervisor in Kyushu University.
- After getting the consent from him/her, contact the student office of the school/graduate school which you wish to enroll at Kyushu University (here after “your student office”) and inquire about the procedure for enrollment.
[Reference]Kyushu University Schools & Graduate Schoolshttp://www.kyushu-u.ac.jp/en/faculty
- Prepare required documents (cf. “4. Required Documents”) and submit them to your student office. Submission by PDF data is acceptable
- Your student office notifies the selection result to you and your supervisor.
You need to apply at the student office of the School/Graduate School which you wish to enroll at Kyushu University by the following deadlines. We don’t accept any application at an office other than student office.
2nd Term Application (Oct., 2020 – Mar., 2021) >>> [Deadline] Friday, May 15st, 2020