The scholarship program offered by the Romanian state, through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, to foreign citizens, based on G.D. 288/1993, for the academic year 2021 - 2022, was launched. The scholarships are offered to foreign citizens who come from countries that are not members of the European Union, for bachelor, master and doctorate. See the information and registration forms below.
The scholarship consists of:
- Free-of-charge tuition,
- Financing the accommodation expenses in the dormitories, through the budget of the Ministry of Education and Research, within the limit of the subsidy allocated for this purpose (accommodation will be provided to the extent of available places)
- Financial support - a monthly amount representing :
- the equivalent in Romanian currency of 65 EURO per month, for under-graduate students (1st cycle),
- the equivalent in Romanian currency of 75 EURO per month, for post-graduate students (master degrees and specialization) 2nd cycle,
- the equivalent in Romanian currency of 85 EURO per month, for post graduate students (doctorate degree) 3rd cycle.
These scholarships do not cover food, international and local transport. The candidates must be prepared to personally support any other additional expenses.
- Foreign citizens coming from all the states of the world, except for EU member states. Foreign citizens of Romanian origin and those belonging to the neighbouring historic Romanian communities benefit from other scholarship programs.
- The applicant for the scholarship must not hold Romanian citizenship, did not request or did not obtain a form of protection in Romania, is not a stateless person whose residence on Romanian territory is officially recognized according to the law, is not a member of the diplomatic corps accredited to Bucharest or member of family of the diplomatic corps accredited in Romania, has not benefited from a scholarship from the Romanian state on the same course of study.
- The applicant for the scholarship must present study papers issued by accredited / recognized educational institutions, have good results in education, respectively an average of the study years of at least 7 (seven) corresponding to the scoring system in Romania or the "Good" score, as the case.
- The applicant for the scholarship is not, until 31 December of the year in which he / she was nominated, more than 35 years of age - for bachelor and master studies and 45 years respectively - for doctoral studies or for postgraduate studies.
- Undergraduate:bachelor's degree programmes are addressed to graduates of high school studies or pre-university studies at the end of which they obtained a baccalaureate degree or equivalent, as well as candidates applying for further universitystudies in Romania. The complete programmeruns for a period of 3-6 years, depending on the specialization followed and ends with a bachelor's exam;
- Master: master's degree programmes are addressed to undergraduates, run for a period of 1 year, 1.5 years or 2 years and end with the dissertation exam;
- Doctoratedoctoral programmes are addressed to graduate students or equivalent and run for a period of 3-5 years, depending on the profile of the chosen faculty and end with the presentation of a PhD thesis.
The application file for the scholarship selection process must include the following documents:
- The application form for a scholarship in Romania and application for the issuance of the letter of acceptance, completed in full (ANNEX 1).
It is mandatory that the information entered in the form is accurate.
In order to facilitate the candidates' option, the complete list of accredited higher education institutions in Romania can be accessed at the link https://www.edu.ro/institutii-invatamant-superior. Please note that scholarships are NOT awarded in the fields of medicine, dental medicine and pharmacy.
- Copies of the diplomas obtained (baccalaureate diploma or its equivalent, plus bachelor's, master's, doctorate degree, if applicable) and their authorized translation into English, French or Romanian, if applicable.
- Copies of transcripts ofthe completed studies and their authorized translation into English, French or Romanian, if applicable.
- Copy of the birth certificate (or equivalent document) and the authorized translation into English, French or Romanian, if applicable.
- Copy of the first three pages of the passport.
- Curriculum Vitae in English or French in the format of ANNEX 2, and for the doctoral cycle also a letter of intent from the applicant in English, French or Romanian.
- Copy of the proof of name change (if applicable) and the authorized translation into English, French or Romanian, if applicable.
- Copy of the certificate proving the passing of the baccalaureate, bachelor's or master's exam, as the case may be, for graduates who do not hold yet the diploma and the authorized translation into English, French or Romanian, if applicable.
- Copy of the certificate proving that the person in the final year of studies is to take the graduation exam at the end of the school/university year and the authorized translation into English, French or Romanian, if applicable.
- Copy of the transcript attesting the academic record of the person in the final year of studies, until the moment of submitting the application file, and the authorized translation into English, French or Romanian, if applicable.
- Copy of the certificate of completion of the Romanian language preparatory year or the certificate of linguistic competence, if applicable.
- Copy of the notarized declaration of parental consent in the case of candidates who have not reached the age of 18 by the date of commencement of the courses and the authorized translation into English, French or Romanian, if applicable.
How to Apply:
- The application files must be sent by the candidates, in electronic or physical format (preferably in electronic format), only through the diplomatic missions of Romania.
- As an exception, application files may be submitted by candidates, in electronic or physical format (preferably in electronic format), also through the diplomatic mission of the state of citizenship accredited in Bucharest, if the diplomatic mission in question accepts it (a dedicated email address will be made available to foreign missions accredited in Romania for this purpose).
- To the extent that the diplomatic mission refuses to take over the application file for transmission to the MFA, the file must be submitted in accordance with the procedure described in paragraph 1.
- REJECTED: Applications submitted directly by the applicants to the registry offices of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or the Ministry of Education and Research, or to the e-mail addresses of the MFA employees/ departments of the MFA Headquarters will not be taken into consideration.
- The enrollment period begins each year on November 15 for the following year's university session. The deadline for submitting applications is April 30, the following year.
- The candidate has the obligation to inquire about the dates and conditions of enrollment with the diplomatic mission where he/she wishes to submit the application or on the MFA website.
- INELIGIBLE: Application files submitted after the deadline will not be taken into consideration.