The Olive Writers Summer Camp is a six-day-long fully-funded creative writing program for young Moroccan writers between the ages of 14-21.The program will take place between the 29th July and 3th of August 2019 at the American Language Center of Casablanca.
During the program, the participants will attend seminars on Arabic and American literature and daily bilingual (English/Arabic) creative writing workshops. In addition, participants will have the opportunity to attend intensive workshops on literary translation, journalism, and critical thinking. This programming will allow participants to revise and refine a creative project and to delve deeply into questions of craft and theory. The morning creative writing workshops will be offered in both Arabic and English, and the remaining courses and lectures will be in either of the two languages.
Throughout the six days, our young writers will meet established writers, including world-renowned poets, novelists and literary critics from Morocco and abroad.
Not only will participants have the opportunity to discuss the art and craft of creative writing during intensive workshops and seminars, they will also have the chance to network and expand their creative community, creating a support system that will endure after the camp.
A cultural trip is scheduled for the afternoon of the fourth day of the camp. The Olive Writers staff will lead participants on a guided tour of Casablanca. This tour will delve into the cultural history of the city and will highlight Casablanca’s literary patrimony.A closing ceremony will be held during the last day of the program. Participants will share their creative work with an audience composed of fellow writers, instructors, parents, and community members to create a deeper engagement between the program participants and the local community in Casablanca. Following the reading, participants will receive a diploma.
This is a fully-funded opportunity:
- Tuition, room, and board are provided free of charge to all accepted participants.
- The Summer Camp is supported by a generous grant from the American Langauge Center - Casablanca and with the support of the University of Iowa's International Writing Progam and the U.S. Department of State.
Young Moroccan writers between the ages of 14-21
- Application form.
- Writing Sample: 4-5 pages of fiction and/or poetry written in either Arabic or English. Please submit your sample in the language of the main writing workshop for which you are applying.
- Writing assignment: 2-5 pages of your writing sample should be written in response to the following writing prompt:
- Have you ever looked at a photo and wondered about the story behind it? We have prepared an amazing collection of images for you. Please pick a photo that triggers your imagination and write a piece of fiction inspired by the chosen image.
- The link to photos can be found here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmEup9E3
- Statement of Purpose: 300 words maximum, in English or Arabic. Please describe why creative writing is important in your life. Please also discuss the difficulties or challenged you have faced in your writing, as well as what you hope to learn at the program.
- Letter of Recommendation (Optional).
How to Apply:
- Fill out the application form.
- Email your application materials (a writing sample, the completed writing assignment and your statement of purpose).
- Please send these materials as a single MS Word document, which you will email as an attachment to email@example.com (please do not send your materials in the body of the email).
- Both the subject of the email and the title of the MS Word document should be as follows:
"[Participant's Full Name]-[Participant's City]-TOW 2019 Application."
- Application material must be received no later than midnight (GMT +1) on July 7, 2019.
- If you write in another language in addition to English or Arabic, feel free to attach a sample to your application email. This sample should be provided as a separate document and clearly labeled with your name and the language in which it is written.
- Plagiarism will not be tolerated. All submissions will be automatically screened for plagiarism. Applications that are found to contain any plagiarized material will be disqualified without notification to the applicant. If you are unsure what constitutes plagiarism, please contact us as firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you don't meet the criteria for this program (due to the age restriction or your country of residence, for example), please explain your situation here: https://bit.ly/2XA71xy explaining your situation.
- We will do our best to accommodate you for this or future programming.
07 July 2019