The scholarship awards are determined by the board of directors of the Wells Mountain Initiative and awarded once a year. Applications must be received by April 1 of each year to be considered for the following academic year. The selected WMI Scholarship recipients will be emailed on August 1. Their names will also be published on our website homepage and the WMI Facebook page. Those who do not receive a scholarship will also be notified after August.
- Tuition and fees
- Books and materials
- Room rent
Our Ideal Candidate – A student, male or female, from a country in the developing world who:
- Successfully completed a secondary education, with good to excellent grades
- Is 35 or under on March 1, 2021
- Will be studying in his or her country or another country in the developing world*
- Is pursuing his or her first bachelor’s degree or diploma
- Will be enrolled in a program of study that will benefit the community and/or contribute to the continued growth and advancement of his or her home country
- Plans to live and work in his or her own country after graduation
- Has demonstrated his or her commitment to giving back and has volunteered prior to applying
- May have some other funds available for his or her education, but will not be able to go to pursue his or her tertiary degree without financial assistance
Applications must be received by March 1 of each year to be considered for the following academic year. WMI Scholars are selected through an in-depth multi-step review process. The selected WMI Scholars will be emailed on August 1. Their names will also be published on our website homepage and the WMI Facebook page. Those who are not selected will also be notified after August 1.
*Scholars planning to study in the United States, Canada, Australia, UK or Western Europe will not qualify for a WMI Scholarship
Applications from qualified applicants will be accepted until March 1, 2021. Before applying, we strongly encourage you to read the WMI Scholar Program Information Sheet and also the Frequently Asked Questions for Prospective Scholars document. These two documents will assist you in determining your eligibility and guide you in the application process.
The following are required elements for an application to be considered complete:
- Clear personal photo
- Essay (topic is stated on application form)
- 2021 application form
- Personal essay statement
- Two recommendation letters*
- Official transcript of grades from secondary school
- Official grading key to interpret secondary school grades**
- Official transcript of grades from tertiary studies (if applicable)
- Official grading key to interpret tertiary grades**
- Official results from your national exam
- Official grading key to interpret scores on your national exam**
*Recommendation letters vary throughout cultures. We have created Guidelines for Effective Application-Recommendation Letters to assist applicants in seeking letters that will be supportive of their application. Read this document and share it with the individuals who will be writing your letters of support.
**Official grading keys must be provided by the school issuing the grades or the government issuing the national exam. Grading keys that are not official will result in your application being disqualified. Contact your secondary school, university, or government for this document.
How to Apply:
There are two ways to apply: Online, or by mailing in a completed application packet to our office.
- APPLYING ONLINE:
- You will be redirected to a portal where you will be asked to create a free account (username and password), fill out information and upload documents. We strongly suggest that you apply online as it will provide you with the opportunity to save your work and return multiple times. You will also guarantee that your application, once submitted online, will be received and reviewed.
- File format types accpeted are: JPG, PNG, GIF, DOC, DOCX, PDF (version 10 or newer).
- You will need to print the 2021 application form (available 12/1/2020) and it is your responsibility to clearly complete it and attach all required supporting documents before sending it to us. Applications must be received by March 1, 2021 in our office. Applications that arrive after March 1, 2021 will not be reviewed. This means that you must allow at least three weeks to mail your application to us from abroad. Only send one completed application. Incomplete or additional mailings with supporting documents will be discarded. We highly encourage applicants to apply online to ensure the delivery of their completed application. DO NOT email us completed applications with multiple attachments; we do not accept applications sent via email.