This program aims to provide students from overseas with an opportunity to improve their proficiency in the Japanese language and to deepen their understanding of Japanese culture and society. The program consists of upper-intermediate to advanced Japanese language courses (5 lectures per week), cultural courses examining not only present day Japanese society and culture but also the rich traditional culture of Kanazawa (3 lectures per week), a joint research project on multiple languages and cultures with Japanese students (1 lecture per week) and a completion research project on subjects related to Japan (1 lecture per week).
This is a one-year program conducted solely in Japanese.
Participants will receive the following, if accepted as a Japanese government (MEXT) scholarship recipient.
Fiscal 2020 scholarship amounts are as below. The amount may be revised in the future.
- Monthly allowance: 117,000 yen (as of 2019)
- A round-trip air ticket (economy class)
- Applicants for the scholarship must meet the following requirements in addition to the above mentioned requirements for application.
- 1) Applicants must have a nationality approved by the Japanese government.
- 2) Applicants must be aged from 18 years to less than 30 years as of 1 April 2021 (Those born between 2 April 1991 and 1 April 2003).
- Applicants must not have received a Japanese government (MEXT) scholarship in the past three years (as of 1 October 2021).
Applicants must meet all requirements listed below.
- 1) Applicants must be full-time students enrolled in their third or fourth year at their home university at the time of enrollment.
- 2) Applicants should be registered with a faculty or department of Japanese studies at their home country university.
- 3) Applicants must have a good command of the Japanese language and be able to converse, read and write basic Japanese (a level equal to or higher than level N2 of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test).
- 4) Applicants must have an excellent academic record and personality.
- 5) Applicants must resume their studies at their home institution after the completion of their studies at Kanazawa University.
- 6) Applicants must qualify for the “College Student” visa.
- 7) Applicants should be prepared to devote themselves to their studies in this program throughout the year. Enthusiasm toward research work and class participation is a must
How to Apply:
- Applicants must submit their application to study at Kanazawa University through their home institution.
- Applicants may apply for either the Kanazawa University Japanese Language and Culture Programor the
Kanazawa University Exchange Program (“Human and Social Sciences” or “Science and Engineering Sciences/Medical, Pharmaceutical and Health Sciences”)
Late February 2021 (Tentative. It depends on the announcement by MEXT.)