The Graduate School of Science and Technology (GSST) at Kumamoto University offers the opportunity to apply for the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship for those who wish to enroll in the Master’s Course of the International Joint Education Program for Science and Technology (IJEP). The main language used in this Program for classes and research is English. Basic Japanese language courses are offered at the Center for International Education.
- Stipend: 144,000 yen per month (subject to change).
- Travel expenses
- Fees for examination, enrollment and tuition will be exempted.
- Nationality: must have a nationality of a country specified by MEXT (see the appendix on page 9), and will have a student visa when entering Japan.
- Age: must have been born on or after April 2, 1986.
- Education: Applicants must fulfill one of the following conditions from ① to ④. When one’s application is based on ③ or ④, qualification will be subjected to prior screening.
- ① Completed or are expected to complete 16 years of formal education outside of Japan by September 2021.
- ② Hold or are expected to complete a degree equivalent to a bachelor’s degree from a three-year or longer program at a foreign university or other foreign educational institution by September 2021. Universities or educational institutions from which applicants obtained or will obtain a degree must be accredited by a respective foreign government or someone certified by an appropriate foreign governmental agency, or so designated by MEXT.
- ③ Completed 15 years of formal education outside of Japan and are recognized to have excellent academic records by GSST.
- ④ Are recognized by GSST to have attainments equal to or higher than university graduates, and must be aged 22 years old or older as of September 30, 2021.
- GPA: GPA of your grades in the latest formal education program must be equal to or greater than 2.30
- Health: must be in good physical and mental health.
- Language: must have good English communication skills equivalent to or more than B2 level of CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages). The applicants should have an official score of either TOEFL, TOEIC, or IELTS. The minimum scores are 72 for TOEFL-iBT (543 for TOEFL-PBT), 785 for TOEIC, and 5.5 for IELTS.
- Time of arrival: must be able to arrive in Japan between September 25 and October 8, 2021. When it is not possible, the travel expense will not be paid.
- Visa: must have a student visa when coming to Japan.
How to Apply:
- Step 1
Check whether you fulfill the qualifications of applicants (See requirement above). When your educational qualification is based on ③ or ④, prior screening must be conducted. For application to prior screening, follow the guidelines on page 4 on GUIDELINE. If you are not sure whether you need prior screening or not, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Step 2
Contact a prospective supervisor in Kumamoto University and ask whether you can apply for MEXT scholarship under his/her supervision. It is highly recommended that applicants contact the prospective supervisor at least three weeks before the application deadline. Please refer following website when you search for a prospective supervisor; https://www.fast.kumamoto-u.ac.jp/gsst-en/res_act/
If you have a problem contacting a prospective supervisor, please contact following email address; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Step 3
After obtaining confirmation from the prospective supervisor in Step 2, please have face-to-face interviews with the prospective supervisor and at least two more faculty members from the related field(s). Online interviews are acceptable. Interviews must be completed within one year prior to the application deadline. For more details about interview procedure, please contact your prospective supervisor.
- Step 4
Submit the following documents to the Academic / International Affairs Section via express postal mail by the application deadline.
- Application information for Master’s Course
- Application information for Doctoral Course
- Application form GSST
- Application form MEXTSample
- Research Plan
- Health Certificate
- Checklist (Master’s Course)
- Checklist (Doctoral Course)
27 January 2021