The University of Catania is a university located in Catania, Sicily. Founded in 1434, it is the oldest university in Sicily, the 13th oldest in Italy, and the 29th oldest university in the world. With a population of over 60,000 students, it is the main university in Sicily.
The university was founded by King Alfonso V of Aragon on 19 October 1434. A charter was granted after two royal councillors (Adamo Asmundo and Battista Platamone) convinced the king to accept the founding of a "Studium Generale" in Catania, with the papal recognition arriving ten years later from Pope Eugene IV (18 April 1444). Alfonso V with this gesture wanted to compensate the city (in which there had been recently established the Royal Court) for moving the Sicilian capital from Catania to Palermo. The activity of the Atheneum actually started a year later, in 1445, with 6 professors and 10 students.
The first four faculties were Medicine, Philosophy, Canon and Civil Law and Theology. Lessons were initially held in a building in Piazza del Duomo, next to the Cathedral of St. Agatha, and eventually moved to the Palazzo dell'Università in the late 1690s. This building remains the seat of the university to this day. The first degree was awarded to Antonio Mantello, from Syracuse, in 1449. During the course of the 16th century, approximately 20-25 degrees were awarded each year. The University (which from the 16th century was referred to as "Siculorum Gymnasium") was named "Studium Generale" because it was the only entity that could release degrees equal to those released in the old Studia of Salamanca, Valladolid, Bologna and this contributed to spread envy in the other Sicilian cities that in culture and traditions didn't feel inferior to Catania. In 1934, the university celebrated its 500th anniversary with King Vittorio Emanuele III of Italy, and, in 1984 the 550th one.
- Scholarships are available to study any of the subjects offered by the university.
- Available to students of all nationalities.
- International students are eligible to apply for this scholarship programme.
- The application is open exclusively to candidates who, by the deadline of the submission of applications for participation:- Possess qualifications for admission to the chosen degree course issued by an institution outside of the Italian education system;- Meet the requirements for the chosen degree programme;- Are not 30 years or older.
- Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
- Copy of their currently valid passport. EU citizens can attach a copy of their identity card;
- UNICT admission letter;
- Enic/Naric Statement of comparability and qualifications certification (http://cis.cimea.it/unict_en/) or Declaration of Value of the title requested for the admission to the chosen degree course.
- All documents in any language other than Italian or English must be supported by a translation into English or Italian.
- Once the application has been registered it will no longer be possible to make any changes to the data entered and it’ll be possible to see the date and time of submission.
- Applications that are not properly filled in or complete with all the required documentation will not be accepted.
20 study grants worth € 1,500.00 are available for international students who wish to enrol in any Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s Degree or Single Cycle Degree program offered by University.
10 study grants worth € 1,500.00 are available for international students who wish to enrol in the following Master’s Degree courses: Physics (Physics), Chemical Engineering for Industrial Sustainability, Automation Engineering and Control of Complex Systems, Electrical Engineering, Global Politics and Euro -Mediterranean Relations.
10 study grants worth 1,500.00 € Available for students coming from Republic of Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Fyrom, Kosovo and Montenegro who wish to enrol in any Bachelor’s, Master’s Degree or Single Cycle Degree program offered by University.
How to Apply:
The mode of applying is online.
June 30, 2018