The University of Waikato began in 1956 after Hamilton locals launched a petition for a university to serve the needs of the South Auckland region. The group was led by Douglas Seymour, a barrister, and subsequently Anthony "Rufus" Rogers, a Hamilton GP and brother to long-time Mayor of Hamilton, Denis Rogers. Their campaign coincided with a shortage of teachers in the 1950s that prompted the New Zealand government to consider plans for a teachers’ college in the region.In 1960, the newly established Hamilton Teachers’ College opened its doors, and combined with the fledgling university (then a branch of Auckland University), began a joint campus on farmland at Hillcrest, on the city's outskirts.
In 1964, the two institutions moved to their new home, and the following year the University of Waikato was officially opened by then Governor-General Sir Bernard Fergusson.
At this time the University comprised a School of Humanities and a School of Social Sciences. In 1969 a School of Science (now the Faculty of Science and Engineering).was established. This was followed by the creation of Waikato Management School in 1972, Computer Science and Computing Services (which ultimately became the Faculty of Computing and Mathematical Sciences) in 1973, and the establishment of the School, now Faculty, of Law in 1990.
- This scholarship is for School Leaver and Gap year students
- Must demonstrate great academic performance
- Have potential to further excel in either a sport or a creative and performing art.
- Demonstrate leadership potential
Value of the scholarship: Up to $10,000 per annum for the duration of the applicants’ undergraduate degree (subject to the recipient maintaining the required level of performance)
- A current CV
- A personal statement Click Here
- A sport or creative/performing art reference
- A completed Principal’s Assessment form Click Here
- A copy of NZQZ School Result Summary Click Here
- Creative/Performing Arts Applicants Only: are required to submit copies of creative works or recordings of performances via Google Drive, Dropbox or YouTube
- Gap Year Applicants Only: are required to provide an additional one-page statement detailing what they have accomplished during their gap year
How to Apply:
Please apply this scholarship through THIS LINK
August 31st, 2018