Yale Young Global Scholars (YYGS) is one of the most globally diverse, two-week academic summer programs in the world. Our program serves 2,400 students from over 130 countries and all 50 U.S. states, and we distribute over $3 Million USD in need-based financial aid to domestic and international students.
Yale Young Global Scholars is an unparalleled academic and leadership program at Yale University, founded on the tenets of liberal arts, renowned for its diverse and inclusive community, and committed to increasing education access.Yale Young Global Scholars empowers the next generation of leaders by building a global community and designing interdisciplinary programs that foster intellectual curiosity, deepen understanding and inspire creative action across all borders.
Thanks to generous donors, YYGS is able to offer a limited number of Scholarships, which are Need-Based Financial Aid packages that cover full-tuition ($6,500 USD) and travel costs.
Please note that the majority of students who apply for need-based financial aid receive significant tuition discounts and then fundraise to cover travel expenses, as only a limited number of scholarships are available each year. Learn more by viewing our free Financial Aid webinar (link is external) online.
In order to be considered for one of these scholarships (below), you MUST have completed the entire online YYGS Application, including the Need-Based Financial Aid portion, by January 12, 2021.
As part of reviewing your financial aid request, YYGS staff will automatically review whether or not you meet any of our 2021 scholarships’ eligibility requirements, and contact you when decisions are released by mid-March (learn more about Early Action deadlines).
2021 YYGS Scholarships Include:
The scholarship covers full tuition costs and related travel expenses for students to attend any of the YYGS sessions offered in 2021.
- Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Alumni Scholarship
Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Alumni Scholarships will be awarded to selected students who completed the YYAS program in any summer prior to 2021. The scholarship covers full tuition costs and related travel expenses for students to attend any of the YYGS sessions offered in 2021.
- Young Leaders (YL) Scholarship
YL Scholarships will be awarded to selected students in the U.S. and internationally who self-identify as at least ONE of the following:
- Black or African American (including Africa and the Caribbean)
- Hispanic and/or Latino/Latina/Latinx
- Members of Indigenous peoples, nations, and/or communities
*A refugee is someone who has been forced to flee his or her country because of persecution, war, or violence. A refugee has a well-founded fear of persecution for reasons of race, religion, nationality, political opinion or membership in a particular social group.
*Please Note: This rule is so that YYGS is in compliance with legal restrictions for running a summer program for minors, and no exceptions can be made.
- Age Be at least 16 years old by July 19, 2021 (first day of Session III).*
- English Fluency Be able to participate in a rigorous academic curriculum conducted in English.
- Grade Level Be a current high school sophomore or junior (or international equivalent).
- Graduation Date Be graduating in May/June 2022 or 2023 from the Northern Hemisphere, or in Nov./Dec. 2021 or 2022 from the Southern Hemisphere.
- YYGS Participation
- Be a first-time participant in YYGS. If you have participated in any YYGS session during a previous summer (e.g., 2020, 2019), then you are not eligible to participate during YYGS 2021.
- Please note: If you previously applied to YYGS but were not offered admission or were unable attend AND you meet the eligibility criteria noted above, then you are encouraged to re-apply for YYGS 2021.
How To Apply:
- Step 1 Review the YYGS eligibility criteria.
- Step 2 Review the YYGS application required components.
- Step 3 Review a PDF of a sample blank application, and start preparing to answer as many application questions as possible.
- Step 4 You will need to submit contact information for a parent/guardian, teacher, and/or official at your school. Reach out to them as soon as possible to review the PDF of a sample blank application with you, and be sure to collect the information you need.
- Step 5 Click APPLY NOW to start your YYGS application. Be sure to write down your email and password to access the application at a later time.
- Step 6 Check the “Review” page of the application to see if you are missing any required components, and re-visit any pages that require further information.
- Step 7 Once your application is complete, click on the “Review” page. Next click on the “Submit Application” button at the bottom of the page.
- Step 8 In your Applicant Status Portal, pay the $60 USD Early Action fee or $75 USD Regular Decision fee. All YYGS application fees are non-refundable.
- If you submitted a completed Fee Waiver request, then you can check your Applicant Status Portal to see when it is approved or denied. If your Fee Waiver Request is denied, then your application will not be reviewed until the YYGS application fee is paid.
- Step 9 Check your inbox for a YYGS confirmation receipt that indicates the successful submission of your application. Confirmation emails usually arrive within 24-48 hours of submission, due to occasional delays payment processing.
10 November 2020