The University of Pretoria (UP) in partnership with the Mastercard Foundation (MCF) is currently offering scholarships for high achieving African students interested in studying at postgraduate levels, commencing in January 2020.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program (MCFSP) targets academically talented yet economically disadvantaged young people in Africa who will contribute to the transformation of the continent through their knowledge, skills, attitudes and values evidenced by their leadership. Community service and internships are essential components of the Program. The MCFSP offers a full scholarship to selected students who have been provisionally admitted to study towards a postgraduate degree at UP. Graduates must return to their home countries on completion of their studies and give back to their communities.
- Full tuition fees
- Accommodation and meals in a UP residence or UP-accredited accommodation
- A modest monthly stipend
- Textbooks and printed material
- Medical aid cover for the duration of the study
- VISA costs
- Reasonable travel costs (including flight ticket) to and from your home
- Leadership development opportunities
- Academic advising and counselling support
- In order to apply for the scholarship, you MUST have been admitted into a degree at UP. You will need your student number to complete the MCFSP application, which must be accompanied by your academic records and other supporting documents as outlined in the application form.
- Be sure to include documents that support what your family, guardian or foster parents can afford to pay. Examples of such documentation include bank statements, pay slips and loan documents.
- Only students admitted to full-time study at UP will be considered for the scholarship.
- Only prospective students who cannot afford to pay the full fees are eligible to apply. Do not apply for funding if you or your parents, guardian or foster parents can afford the full tuition fees.
- All the information provided must be accurate and true. Any falsification of information on the application form may result in disqualification from consideration for a scholarship.
Documents listed below (in English only) are required to process yourapplication:
- Proof of your provisional admissionor application for admissionletter from the University ofPretoria.
- Proof of gross income (pay slip(s)/pension advice(s)/financial statements/allowances, maintenance) not older than 3 months for biological/adoptive parent(s)/legal guardian/spouse/applicant’s source ofincome.
- If no proof of income or if unemployed, the source of income/maintenance/allowance must be provided per individual by means of an affidavit. House Executive/housewives must confirm any source of income by means of anaffidavit.
- If biological/adoptive parent is single or never married, an affidavit confirming marital status and maintenance –also if not receiving any financialassistance.
- If biological/adoptive parent(s) are deceased –deathcertificate(s).
- If biological/adoptive parent(s) are divorced, the decreeof divorce and affidavit confirming maintenance (also if not receiving any financialassistance).
- vii)If legal guardian is appointed by a court, the court order must be provided or an affidavit supporting this. Guardian must declare monthly allowance to applicant by means of anaffidavit.
- viii)Certified copy of ID/Passport.
- ix)IDs/passport for biological/adoptive parent(s)/legalguardian/spouse.
- x)IDs/passport and birth certificate for both applicant andsiblings.xi)Proof of enrolment of all siblings at tertiaryinstitution(s)
How to Apply:
- Step 1
- You may apply online at www.up.ac.za/apply.
- To use the online Application system, you will need Internet access and an email address that you can access regularly. As soon as you submit your online application, a student number (EMPLID) will be sent to this email address as confirmation of receipt.
- Alternatively, you can submit a hard copy of your application form to the following address:
- University of Pretoria
Student Service Centre
- Step 2
- The application will be evaluated by members of the relevant faculty and you will be informed of the outcome.
- Postgraduate applicants are required to have their certificate verified by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA). Please visit www.saqa.org.za
- Step 3
- Download application forms for the MCFSP from www.up.ac.za/mcfsp.
- Application enquiries can be directed to:
Tel: 012 420 4297
18 September 2020