The VU Amsterdam Fellowship Programme (VUFP) offers talented prospective international students the unique opportunity to pursue a Master’s degree at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. VU Amsterdam has committed to providing approximately 1 million euro towards attracting highly motivated and excellent students.
All VUFP applications received by 1 February 2020 will be reviewed by the faculty of the applied for Master’s programme. Faculties then nominate applicants to the central scholarship committee, which subsequently awards scholarships to the most talented students. The award is based on the motivation letter, the quality of previous education and the student’s academic performance therein. A scholarship offer will be made to successful candidates.
- The VUFP scholarship is a tuition fee waiver.
- VUFP scholarship does not provide any additional allowance towards study or living costs.
- You can prove your academic excellence with a GPA of at least 80% of the highest possible mark.
- You are applying for the first year of a full-time English taught Master’s programme at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam starting per September 2020.
- You do not have the Dutch nationality.
- The degree with which you are seeking admission has not been obtained in the Netherlands.
How to Apply:
- Register for a Master’s programme
Students register for a Master's programme in Studielink and after that in the VUnet portal. Here you can find more information on how to apply for one of our English taught Master's programmes. Please note that you must have applied for the Master's programme before you can apply for the VUFP scholarship and your VUFP application has to be received in good order by the deadline.
- 2. Submit VUFP applicatioN
Submit your VUFP application in VUnet.
For VUFP application 3 documents in PDF format are required:
Proof of excellence/ GPA
Please upload a proof of transcript of your previous degree or current Bachelor’s degree. Please provide a document with the used grading scale and clear explanation of the GPA calculation. Students who apply for a VU Fellowship Programme need to have a GPA of at least 80% of the highest possible mark (calculated over full previous degree or current Bachelor’s degree). For example, if the highest possible mark is a 10 you need to have an average of at least an 8.Excellence in previous education is proven if the grade point average achieved is at least the equivalent of the Dutch grade of an 8.0 on the Dutch grading scale 1 – 10. The VUFP Scholarship Committee will decide on the local grade equivalents for the Dutch grade of an 8.0 using the grade information included in the NUFFIC country modules.
They would like to know your motivation for the VU Fellowship Programme. Why do you think you deserve to receive a VUFP scholarship?
Topics that are reviewed in the motivation letter are the following:
- Why do you want to study this specific programme?
- What are your future perspectives?
- Why do you deserve the VUFP scholarship?
Curriculum Vitae (CV)
They strongly recommend the use of the Europass format.
Do not hesitate to mention other motivations as well, taking initiative is appreciated!
01 February 2020