Hokkaido University is seeking applicants for Hokkaido University President’s Fellowship, for prospective international students seeking master’s, professional, or doctoral degrees that plan to enroll in October 2020. Applicants must possess an excellent academic record as well as a strong interest in Hokkaido University and Japanese culture.
- Degree seeking students: Approximately 2,300,000 yen for the 1st year (apx 1,800,000 from the 2nd year) which includesapplication fees, enrollment fees, tuition fees ( exempted), and the monthly stipend.
- Non-degree seeking students ( research students): for details on the amount, Please visit official page
- Monthly Benefits.
Monthly stipend: 100,000 yen. In addition to the monthly stipend, 220,000 yen (70,000 yen for research students) is paid in the month of enrollment with an additional 35,000 yen the following April and October (for details of the monthly stipend, see page 4, Appendix: Monthly Benefits) to cover the Fellowship recipient’s travel expenses (when coming to Japan and returning to their home country at the completion of their studies and research) and material’s fees for texts and miscellaneous expenses.
- Applicants must be current or alumni students of universities that have concluded Inter-University Exchange Agreements and a Memorandum of Understanding on Student Exchange with Hokkaido University. Students whoare already enrolled at Hokkaido University can not apply for this fellowship. Applicants must be self-supporting, without other scholarships or fellowships when enrolling in Hokkaido University.
- Applicants must possess a GPA that is in the top 25% of their class or an equivalent level at their home university (Applicants who possess equivalent GPA levels must be certified by the president of their home university).
How to Apply:
- (1)A completed Application for Hokkaido University President’s Fellowship (Form 1). Before submitting the application, please make sure to contact your prospective supervisor directly and consult with them concerning the topic and plan of your research.
- (2) C onsent letter written by your prospective supervisor (no set form).
- (3) Official TranscriptsFor a doctoral degree, both undergraduate and graduate transcripts must be submitted.
- (4) A letter of recommendation from a supervisor at your university (no set form).
- (5) Official candidacy announcement from your university’s president to the President of Hokkaido University (no set form).
How to Apply:
- Applicants must submit the above documents to their university.
- Each affiliated University must select ONE candidate, and send the required documents to Hokkaido University within the application period.
- * Applications sent directly from the applicant will not be accepted.
- * Please note that submitted documents will not be returned.
- * In case of any change on the applicant’s status, please be sure to inform us through the affiliated University as soon as possible.
10 January 2020