This film and artist-in-residence workshop will allow for the transnational exchange and sharing of artistic experiences between young African and Japanese filmmakers in a productive creative environment. It will provide artistic guidance and put in place a genuine platform for experimental creation and artistic renewal, and foster collaborations between Africa and Japanese artists, provide international exposure to the work of young women artists, and open new opportunities for artistic creation, production and dissemination.
Within the duration of workshop, the participants will complete their short films from shooting to editing. They will collaborate and interact with other participants, discuss technical and artistic issues, sharing with the group the different stages of the editing.
Participants will also be invited to present their in-residency work during the Nara Internatoinal Film Festival (September 18-22, 2020), in order to increase networking opportunities, establish solid international ties, and reach out to new audiences.
- Travel and accommodation expenses will be covered by UNESCO. Once selected to participate in this filmmaking residency programme, you will be provided:
- 2 return air tickets from the city of your residence to Nara, Japan
- Accommodation, meals and local transportation for the duration of your stay in Nara, Japan
- Applicants are emerging women filmmakers, with some film or audio-visual experience
- Applicants should have a good command of English
- Be aged 21-35
- Be from one of the following countries:
- Burkina Faso
- South Africa
- Applicants will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Motivation: Why you are interested in participating in this filmmaking residency in Nara, Japan?
- Relevance: How do you think this filmmaking residency could help develop your capacities in filming?
- Sustainability: How can you use this residency to promote further the role of women in the film sector?
How to Apply:
In order to apply for the filmmaking residency, applicants should:
- Fill out the application form in English (PDF or Word)
- Attach required materials
- Sign and date the application
- Submit by January 10, 2020 a completed application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. UNESCO will confirm receipt of applications via email. All applicants will be notified within two months as to whether or not their requests have been approved.
10 January 2020