Almost 86 million people in Indonesia lives in urban area. Rapid urbanization and an inadequate ability to cope with the housing needs of people in urban area have contributed to the expansion of illegal settlement in riverbank areas, train railway, under bridge and etc. Riverbank are is the most favorite places for the illegal settlement because of free water sources for household activities. In many cases, most of the illegal settlements are usually inhabited by poor or low-income household.
Statistically, near 25 million of this illegal settlement on riverbank are lack of proper toilets facilities. Some have no toilet at all which makes them defecate freely on bushes, streets and along the rivers side. While others are having a toilet without a proper water management system, which channeled their fecal directly into the river. Open defecation on river cause water pollution loaded with dangerous bacteria and wastewater contaminations. Worse, as population increased, settlements have become denser and consequently, the quality of environment and the life within their premises threaten.
Sanitation Heroes will get prizes as well as seeds funding and mentoring to implement the idea in their place of origin. Sahabat Bumi Indonesia in collaboration with the East-West Center, YSEALI Seeds for the Future, YSEALI Indonesia, the United States Embassy and East Kalimantan HAKLI will provide mentoring to the winning team to develop their ideas and prototypes.
- 10 proposal ideas will be selected as finalists for Etam Impact Academy For Sanitation Heroes 3.0.
- The finalists will get a workshop for 4-5 days in Samarinda, East Kalimantan, Indonesia.
- Participants must be responsible for transportation costs from their home city to Samarinda. The committee will cover all costs of accommodation, food, transportation, costs to buy technology components according to the needs of participants during the workshop in Samarinda.
- The team consists of 3-5 young Indonesian citizens aged 18-30 years.
- Open to the general public and students and Indonesian citizenship from the same campus or city / district
- Have a strong interest in water, hygiene and sanitation and its projects involving the community.
- Send technology-based idea proposals to face challenges in the Mahakam river, Samarinda in forming healthier communities. (English / Bahasa Indonesia is acceptable)
- 5Willing to attend the final workshop in Samarinda on October 19-22, 2020.
- Willing to commit 3 months to implement the idea if you win the competition.
How to Apply:
Please visit HERE for applying
19 August 2020