The Government of the Slovak Republic approved the establishment of the National Scholarship Programme of the Slovak Republic for the support of mobility of students, PhD students, university teachers, researchers and artists in 2005. The National Scholarship Programme of the Slovak Republic (NSP) is funded by the Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sport of the Slovak Republic.
The National Scholarship Programme of the Slovak Republic supports mobility of international students, PhD students, university teachers, researchers and artists for scholarship stays at higher education institutions and research organisations in Slovakia.
Amount of the monthly scholarship
- a) university student of the second level of higher education
- b) PhD student
- c) university teacher/researcher/artist:
- without PhD degree (or its equivalent) and at the same time less than 4 years of work experience as a university teacher/researcher/artist
- with PhD degree (or its equivalent) and at the same time less than 10 years of work experience as a university teacher/researcher/artist
- with PhD degree (or its equivalent) and at the same time more than 10 years of work experience as a university teacher/researcher/artist
- To determine the monthly scholarship amount (in case of university teachers, researchers and artists) with regard to their work experience, only work experience until the day of the application deadline is taken into consideration.
- PhD studies are considered as work experience, however, up to a maximum of 6 years.
- distance up to 350 km – 0 €,
- distance more than 350 km, max. 2,000 km – 250 €,
- distance more than 2,000 km, max. 7,000 km – 500 €,
- distance more than 7,000 km – 1 000 €.
Eligible applicants for a scholarship in the framework of the NSP:
A) students who:
- are university students at universities outside Slovakia;
- are students of the second level of higher education (master's students), or are students who at the time of application deadline have already completed at least 2.5 years of their university studies in the same study programme;
- will be on a study stay in Slovakia during their higher education outside Slovakia and who will be accepted by a public, private or state university in Slovakia for an academic mobility1 to study in Slovakia.
- All 3 conditions must be met. This category does not apply to doctoral (PhD) studies (or their equivalent).
- Duration of a scholarship stay (students): 1 – 2 full semesters (i.e. 4 – 5 or 9 – 10 months) or full 1 – 3 trimesters, in case the academic year is divided into trimesters (i.e. 3 – 4 or 6 – 7 or 9 – 10 months).
B) PhD students whose higher education or scientific training takes place outside Slovakia and who are accepted by a public, private or state university or a research institution in Slovakia eligible to carry out a doctoral study programme2 (e.g. the Slovak Academy of Sciences) for an academic mobility1 to study/conduct research/artistic stay in Slovakia.
- Duration of a scholarship stay (PhD students): 1 – 10 months.
C) international university teachers, researchers and artists who are invited to a teaching/research/artistic stay in Slovakia by an institution with a valid certificate of eligibility to carry out research and development, which is not a business company3 and it has its seat in Slovakia.
- Duration of a scholarship stay (university teachers, researchers or artists): 1 – 10 months.
Citizens of any country in the world (except the citizens of Slovakia) can apply for a scholarship stay in Slovakia in the framework of the NSP.
How to Apply:
- Scholarship applications are submitted online at www.scholarships.sk. Online application system is opened at least 6 weeks prior to the application deadline. Applications can be filled in only in case that the online application system has already been opened.
- Note: Applicants are recommended not to submit their applications at the last moment. Number of operations executed within the last minutes prior to the application deadline may influence the reaction time of the application system. Please, keep that in mind, in order not to miss the application deadline. In such case, the programme administrator does not take any responsibility if the applicant does not submit his/her application.
18 May 2020 at 16.:00 CET – scholarship stays during the academic year 2020/2021 (this date replaces the application deadline which was originally planned for 30. April 2020),
and after the application deadline mentioned above always on:
- 31 October at 16:00 CET – scholarship stays during the summer semester of the current academic year
30 April at 16:00 CET – scholarship stays during the next academic year