The Ministry of Foreign Affairs was formally established upon the resumption of Brunei Darussalam's full independence on 1 January 1984. The process of setting up the Ministry, however, began way back in early 1979 with the establishment of the Diplomatic Service Department. Its main function was to gradually take over the responsibility of handling Brunei Darussalam's external affairs. Brunei Darussalam then has three missions overseas, namely Brunei Darussalam Commission in Kuala Lumpur, London and Singapore. All these missions were upgraded to High Commission in 1984.
On 1st August 2005, the International Relations and Trade Department of the Ministry of Industry and Primary Resources was merged into the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. With that, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is known as the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade is pleased to invite applications for the Government of Brunei Darussalam Scholarship under the above Scholarship Award Scheme for the 2018/2019 academic session.
- Universiti Brunei Darussalam (UBD),
- Universiti Islam Sultan Sharif Ali (UNISSA),
- Universiti Teknologi Brunei (UTB) and
- Politeknik Brunei (PB).
- Applications are open to citizens of, but not limited to, ASEAN, Commonwealth and OIC member countries.
- Applicants should be nominated by their Government.
- Applicants must be certified to be medically fit to undertake the scholarship and to study in Brunei Darussalam, by a qualified medical practitioner who is registered with any Government Authority(ies) prior to arrival in Brunei Darussalam. Any and all costs incurred in obtaining this certification are to be borne by the applicant.
- Applicants must be, between the ages of 18-25 for undergraduate and diploma programmes and must not exceed the age of 35 for postgraduate programmes on the 31st July 2018.
- The award is NOT eligible to Brunei Darussalam Permanent Residents.
- Application forms can be downloaded from the link (click here)
- Application forms must be duly completed and endorsed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or the National Focal Point for scholarships of the applicant's country.
- Applicants are required to also submit a security clearance statement from their National Security Agency(ies)/ Police Station (i.e. a statement/ report certifying that applicants are clear from any civil and criminal charges).
- Completed application forms are to be emailed to the following address: applyBDGS2018@mfa.gov.bn
- Applicants applying to Univeristi Brunei Darussalam must also complete an online application through (this link)
28 February 2018
For further enquiries please contact:
Technical Assistance Unit
Department of Administration
Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Bandar Seri Begawan BD2710
Tel: +673 2261177 ext. 155
Fax: + 673 2261250