The Asian Future Leaders Scholarship Program (AFLSP) support up to 100 scholarships each year to high-caliber students from Asia to study away from their home country or region at leading East Asian universities.
In its mission to create intercultural opportunities for the next generation of leaders, the AFLSP partners with 6 universities in five cities, where scholars are welcome to pursue their choice of an undergraduate, master’s degree or exchange program (program offerings vary by university). The scholarship offers each student up to US$25,000 per year or a total of US$50,000 per scholar, which may be used towards university tuition, housing, and personal living expenses.
Scholars also participate in the annual BXAI Summer Program, a fun and enriching experience where they have the unique opportunity to explore important global topics, engage with guest speakers and fellow scholars, and be inspired by the culture and people of the host country. Bai Xian Alumni are invited to take part in the Bai Xian Alumni Initiative Award (AIA), a program that encourages them to work together in teams across campuses and borders to develop socially responsible action plans that address critical challenges faced by Asia’s communities, environments, and economies today.
With effect from the 2020-21 academic year, the AFLSP will operate under a new structure. Our new university network will span five key cities in East Asia, namely, Beijing, Hong Kong, Kyoto, Shanghai, and Tokyo, and our partnerships will be consolidated to six in total, including: Hitotsubashi ICS, Kyoto University, Peking University, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, and Waseda University.
- Partner Universities
Asian students interested in pursuing a full-time degree program at our Partner Universities (HERE) are eligible for the Asian Future Leaders Scholarship Program (AFLSP). Each Partner University operates its own independent selection process for the AFLSP. Interested students may review each university’s program offerings here and contact the university’s relevant office or program administrator directly to express their interest and/or apply for admission. The AFLSP offers successful candidates up to US$25,000 per year or a maximum of US$50,000.
- English language proficiency:
The official language of the BXAI Summer Program, a mandatory component of the AFLSP, is English. As such, applicants should be fully conversant and have a firm grasp of the English language. Each applicant’s English skills are considered during the selection process, though the required level may differ depending on the university and program he/she applies for.
- AFLSP commitments:
Upon acceptance of the AFLSP scholarship offer, students are required to sign the student commitment letter and adhere to the following conditions:
- Participate in the BXAI Summer Program – All scholars are required to participate in the annual BXAI Summer Program, which is held in August and spans up to three weeks.
- Remain enrolled at the relevant Partner University and the relevant degree program as a full-time student for the duration of their studies under the AFLSP – No unexplained absences of leave are accepted, unless otherwise disclosed to and agreed upon with the university and BXAI.
- Achieve at least a 3.0 GPA on a 4.0/4.3 scale (or a B average, depending on the GPA scale used by the university) during the first scholarship year – Otherwise, BXAI reserves the right to withhold scholarship disbursement for the second year of study.
- Disclose to BXAI and the relevant Partner University if they are a recipient of any other scholarship or form of funding offered by a third party – In such an event, BXAI reserves the right to review the scholarship offer on a case-by-case basis.
- Participate in all mandatory programs under the AFLSP and fulfill all requirements of the relevant degree program within the standard timeframe as set by the relevant Partner University.
- The students from anchor universities should contact the relevant office or program administrator to express their interest.
- The students from anchor universities will be fully supported for the duration of their degree studies.
- The students from the Participating Universities will be offered the scholarship recommended, accepted, and enrolled at one of those universities.
- The candidates applying for Bai Xian Asia Institute-Asian Future Leaders Scholarship Program, 2021 should first register their interest and complete the online application.
- The participating universities will be provided with access to the data submitted by the applicants.
- Up to 10 candidates will be recommended by the participating universities.
- The Participating University will submit the applicant's transcript and PU's recommendation letter.