Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology, simply referred to
as UNIST, is one of the four public universities in South Korea which
are dedicated to research in science and technology, along with KAIST,
GIST, and DGIST. UNIST was founded in 2007 in response to growing demand
for higher education in the Korean industrial capital of Ulsan, where
world-renowned automotive (Hyundai Motor), shipbuilding (Hyundai Heavy
Industries), petrochemical (SK Energy), and secondary cells industries
are clustered. At the time of its foundation, UNIST was known for being
the first national university in South Korea to be incorporated and thus
administered by an independent board of trustees despite being funded
by the central government.
As an international undergraduate student, tuition fees shall be fully or partially waived according to the following conditions:
- Acquire over 12 credits per semester
- (no credits are obtained when a course is failed)
- Full tuition waiver if GPA is 2.0 or above during freshman year
- Full tuition waiver for GPA 2.7 or above, half tuition waiver for GPA 2.0 or above from the sophomore year.
Global UNISTAR Scholarship
Selection criteria: Awarded at an International Olympiad
- Gold: KRW 630,000/month with meal plan
- Silver: KRW 330,000/month with meal plan
Other than the above, international undergraduates are eligible to receive a one-time financial aid and/or receive a UNIST dream scholarship.
UNIST dream scholarship.
- One-time Financial Aid: KRW 500,000 upon arrival
- UNIST dream scholarhip: KRW 130,000/month with meal plan
UNIST dream scholarship will not be given to anyone granted a Global UNISTAR Scholarship
- Applicants who have completed elementary, middle, and high school or have attained equivalent level of education should fulfill one of the following by the beginning of the semester for the Fall admissions
- Foreign citizens whose parents are not Korean citizens
- Foreign or Korean citizens who have completed elementary, middle and high school outside of Korea and never enrolled in any school(s) in Korea
- Form 1: Checklist Form
- Form 2: Application form
- Form 3: Academic information
- Form 4: Personal statement and study plan
- Form 5: Letter(s) of recommendation signed and sealed
- Form 6: Financial accounting certification
- Form 7: Agreement for Verification of academic Record
- For Form 1-7 Download at
- Certificate of the entry and exit of the applicant (Original)
- Certificate of enrollment (elementary, middle, high school) (Original or certified copy)
- Certificate of Transcripts (elementary, middle school) (Original or certified copy)
- Recent 3 years high (middle) school transcripts (If possible, containing rank or percent for each subject) (certified copy)
- High school diploma or Certification of the expectant graduation (official letter with Principal's official seal) (certified copy)
- English test report: TOEFL(Code: 8807), IELTS, TEPS, TOEIC, etc. (Original or certified copy)
- Copy of the applicant's passport (Certified copy)
- Copy of both parents’ passports or official documents indicating their nationalities (Certified copy)
- Official document specifying parent- child relationship (Original or certified copy)
How to Apply:
- Online Application Website:
- Exemption from application fee
- Sign up as a member(http://studyinkorea.go.kr)
- Online application
- Online application — Select “UNIST”
- Enter the all your information
- All documents should be attached within deadline(2021.Feb.18th.(Thu.))
- All documents should be submitted in English. Any document in another language should be accompanied by a notarized English translation.
- Please fill out form 1(Checklist) and attach it to your application.
- Please attach your documents according to the categories.
- Applicants can not modify their application after submission has been completed.
- Please use “temporarily save” button to check your attachment and application
- If applicants want to modify their information, please use modification
- asking page in the web-site.(Staff will change your application status to be changed)
- Email Reply
- Admission staff will contact you by email after submission is completed.
18 February 2021