The international Leo Baeck Fellowship Programme awards fellowships to doctoral students who carry out research into the history and culture of Central European Jewry. We welcome projects on any period or field (including literature, philosophy, history, musicology), and any region (such as Europe, Israel, the Americas), as long as they relate to German-speaking Jewry. In addition to financial support for one year, the programme provides opportunities to exchange ideas with peers from around the world. It is open to doctoral candidates of any nationality, studying at any university. All fellows remain at their home institution, but come together for two workshops in the course of the fellowship, which are jointly organised by the Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes and the Leo Baeck Institute London.
The recipients of Leo Baeck Fellowship Programme, 2019 get:
- a stipend of 1,350 EUR per month
- a research allowance of 100 EUR per month.
- Tuition fee outside Germany up to EUR 10,000.
- Travel allowances.
- The tuition fees will not be covered under Leo Baeck Fellowship Programme, 2019.
- University degree(s) with outstanding marks
- Date of latest degree not before February 2015
- Formal qualification for doctoral studies / acceptance on a doctoral programme at a recognised university
- Research project focussing on the history and culture of Central European Jewry
Candidates are invited to submit the following documents in English or German:
- Application form (DOC, 0.1 MB)
- Cover letter outlining the motivation for participation in the programme (1 page)
- Curriculum vitae with details on education, general interests and language skills
- Photocopy of university degree(s), including marks/grading
- Research proposal (5 pages)
- Research schedule for the academic year 2019/20, including planned research trips
- Letter of recommendation by the supervisor of the PhD project
- Second letter of recommendation
How to Apply:
We accept applications by e-mail <email@example.com> (as a single pdf document please, the letters of recommendation may be submitted separately) or conventional mail (Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes, Ahrstraße 41, 53175 Bonn, Deutschland). Only complete application sets will be considered. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview in Frankfurt in April 2019.
Deadline:01 February 2019