The Integrated Science Program (ISP) is a cross-disciplinary educational program for international students interested in pursuing a degree in sciences. The program fundamentally consists of a four-year Bachelor’s degree and a two-year Master’s degree. Hokkaido University has also implemented an advanced graduation initiative, meaning that highly motivated and capable students will have the opportunity to graduate from the Bachelor’s and Master’s components in 3.5 and 1.5 years respectively.
The objective of ISP at Hokkaido University is to instruct and nurture students to be world leaders in a wide variety of disciplines such as those rooted in the natural sciences, applied sciences and business-oriented careers. The foundation of the program is based upon building expertise and a robust knowledge based in the core sciences, and also include elements of the liberal arts and business studies to provide students with a versatile and well-rounded education to pursue innovation in their future endeavors.
- (1) Hokkaido University has a scholarship program for students participating in the Integrated Science Program (the Integrated Science Program Scholarship Program). Details of that program are outlined below.
- a. Enrollment fee
The university will waive the entire enrollment fee for the Bachelor’s degree for those enrolling in October 2022.
- b. Tuition fee and Scholarships
- (i) ISP Fully Supported students
Applicants with the highest scores in the admission process are offered the status of “ISP Fully Supported Students”. Students under this category will be exempt from tuition fees during the 3.5 years of the Bachelor’s course. Moreover, a scholarship of ¥50,000 per month during the initial 3.5 years of the program will be provided.
* Please note such scholarships are not offered to all students. Designation of ISP Fully Supported Students is determined during the selection process.
* ISP Fully Supported Students’ academic performance will be periodically evaluated. In case of unsatisfactory performance or behavior, tuition fee exemption and scholarship support might be terminated.
- (ii) ISP Partially Supported students
Applicants with high scores during the admission process will be designated as “ISP Partially Supported Students”. Students under this category will be exempt from tuition fees for the initial 1st year after admission to the Bachelor’s course. Moreover, a scholarship of ¥50,000 per month is provided for the initial 1st year after admission.
- * Please note such scholarships are not offered to all students. Designation of ISP Partially Supported Students for the initial 1st year is determined during the selection process.
- * After the conclusion of the initial 1st year, there will be a new selection every year to designate new ISP Partially Supported Students for the following year (or initial 6 months for the fourth-year students).
- (2) The Integrated Science Program was selected by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Science, Sports and Technology (MEXT) for the Japanese Government Scholarship Student Priority Placement Program. About 4 students enrolled in October 2022 will be allocated to this program
as Japanese Government Scholarship Students (university recommendation, special program)
- Please note:
- that such a scholarship is not offered to all students. Designation of nominees for the Japanese Government Scholarship (university recommendation, special program) is
determined during the selection process.
- Designated nominees for the Japanese Government Scholarship (university recommendation, special program) will be informed of said awarded status at the time of admission notification.
- Application Guidelines for the Japanese Government Scholarship (university recommendation, special program) 2022 will be published by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Science, Sports and Technology in December 2021. The guidelines will also be posted on the university’s website, https://www.oia.hokudai.ac.jp/isp/
- (3) In the case that a student is not awarded a scholarship (1) or (2) after admission, they are required to pay the tuition fees in full. However, students may apply for a full, half, or quarter tuition waiver if they are experiencing difficulty in paying their tuition for financial reasons, and have demonstrated outstanding academic performance.
- (4) In addition, scholarship opportunities are offered from a variety of private organizations. Those who wish to apply for such programs may do so after being admitted to the Integrated Science Program. Details on how to apply for these scholarships will be disseminated after enrollment.
- (1) Nationality:
Individuals who have Japanese citizenship or Japanese permanent resident status are not eligible to apply.
- (2) Basic Qualifications:
Applicants must meet ONE of the following criteria:
- 1. They have completed 12 years of school education in a country other than Japan or expect to have graduated by September 30, 2022 (see Note 1 on page 3 and Note 3 on page 4).
- 2. They are individuals who are equivalent to those who meet qualification 1 above and have been designated by the Japanese Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (see Note 2 on page 3).
- 3. They have received or expect to have received an International Baccalaureate Diploma in a country other than Japan by September 30, 2022, awarded by the International Baccalaureate, a foundation pursuant to the Swiss Civil Code.
- 4. They have received an Abitur, a degree recognized as a qualification for university admission throughout Germany.
- 5. They hold a baccalauréat, a degree recognized as a qualification for university admission in France.
- 6. They have General Certificate of Education (GCE) Advanced Level’s (A Levels) recognized as a qualification for university admission in the UK.
- 7. They have completed 12 years of school education at a Japanese educational institution for foreign nationals that has accreditation from the Western Association of Schools & Colleges (WASC), the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) or the Council of International Schools (CIS), or expect to have graduated by September 30, 2022. However, in this case they will have been enrolled at a school for at least two consecutive years including their final school year.
- (3) English-Language Requirement:
Applicants must meet one of the following conditions:
- They speak English as a native language, or have received four years or more of their secondary education (at junior or senior high school, etc.) or higher education (at university or college) in English as their primary language of instruction.
- Note: Having learned English as a foreign language for four years or more does not satisfy the above requirement.
- They have achieved the following scores in TOEFL-iBT, TOEFL-PBT, IELTS or TOEIC L&R if their native language is not English, or if they have not received four years or more of their secondary education or higher education in English:
- TOEFL-iBT (Test Date Scores (‘My Best Scores’ will NOT be accepted)): 79 or higher
- TOEFL-iBT Home Edition (Test Date Scores (‘My Best Scores’ will NOT be accepted)): 79 or higher
- IELTS (Academic Module): 6.0 or higher
- TOEIC L&R: 730 or higher
Note: Test results must be from within two years of the online registration deadline.
- (4)OthersApplicants must submit their score of standardized examinations not already listed in (2) above (e.g. SAT, ACT), if there is such examination for university admission in their own country.
- In addition, applicants must submit a copy of their score reports or a copy of Examination Voucher, if applicants took examinations on science and mathematics (course 2) in the Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU) by Independent Administrative Institution Japan Student Services Organization.
How to Apply:
Please visit the How to Apply page and check it carefully as you prepare your applications
- Online registration period: November 15 (Mon), 2021, from 10:00 a.m. (Provisional) – November 30 (Tue), 2021, by 5:00 p.m.
- The required application materials must be also sent by post after registering online to arrive no later than 5:00 p.m., December 16 (Thu), 2021