The program is designed for post doctoral mathematicians in the early stages of their professional careers. It is designed to offer the opportunity for a ‘research sabbatical,’ a necessary complement to teaching and other academic duties for mathematicians desiring to also sustain a viable research program. The Abel Visiting Scholar Program is fully funded by the Abel Prize in mathematics. Usually up to 3 Grants are available per YEAR.
The grant can cover for one month and only for the applicant up to 4,400 EUR (5,000 EUR)
- Hold at the time of application a PhD in Mathematics,
- be based in a developing country at the time of application
- hold a position in a university/ research institution be in the early stages of their professional careers, more precisely:
- the applicants should not yet be of full professorial rank but have a working contract in a university/ college
- be under 40 years of age at the day of the application deadline.
Applications from women mathematicians are strongly encouraged.
Each application must include:
- The completed Online Application Form
- A curriculum vitae of applicant and host, including a list of recent publications (max. 3 pages each)
- A research plan for the visit
- An official invitation from the institution of the international research partner
- One letter of recommendation If the letter of recommendation is not written by the international research partner (the host), the application should include a statement from the host approving the research plan.
- A copy of the PhD certificate
- A statement about the current employment status/ position in the home institution signed and stamped by your employer. The statement should include the duration of your employment. Please use the template attached.
- A budget estimation. Please, use the Tentative Budget Form. (for more information see 'Financial Support')
- A picture of you for our website (upload separately to the Online Application Form) (The picture will be published on our website (like this: https://www.mathunion.org/cdc/grants/research-travel-grants/abel-visiting-scholar-program/abel-visiting-scholar-2018)
if the applicant is chosen, so PLEASE upload a NICE picture in good quality!)
- In case you are planning to stay for more than one month you must attached a proof of the matching funds for your living costs from the host institution
If your application is NOT completed by the deadline, it CANNOT be considered for evaluation. Please send your application at least two weeks in advance so it can be checked.
- 31 December 2018 for visits between 02 May and 31 August 2019
- 01 April 2019 for research visits between 01 September 2019 - 31 December 2019