Master’s degree programs are required to be completed in 2-3 years, and doctoral degree programs in 3-4 years. For students with a bachelor’s degree who pursue a doctoral degree or continuous program that involves postgraduate and doctoral studies, the study period is normally 4-5 years. Graduate students who have completed the tasks required in their training programs within the designated length of study, passed their assessments and met the graduation requirements will be allowed to graduate by the University, and will be granted a graduation certificate. Students who are qualified to be awarded a degree will receive the relevant master’s or doctoral degree and diploma.
- Tsinghua University offers two main kinds of scholarship to incoming full-time international graduate students: Chinese Government Scholarship (CGS) and Tuition Scholarships.
- The full CGS covers tuition fees, living allowance, on-campus accommodation, and comprehensive medical insurance. For incoming full-time international graduate students there are two kinds of channel through which to apply for CGS: through Chinese Embassies or Consulates in your home country or through Chinese universities. (*Applicants can choose only one application channel. Repeated application through more than one channel is not allowed.) For more information about CGS, please visit the website of China Scholarship Council (CSC): http://www.campuschina.org
- Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply to the dispatching authorities for overseas study or Chinese embassies/consulates in their home country. Please consult the Chinese embassy/consulate in advance, as the application schedule varies from country to country (usually from November to April prior to the beginning of study). For the contact information of Chinese embassies/consulates, please visit the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People’s Republic of China.
- Qualified applicants who meet the requirements of “CGS-Chinese University Program” could choose to apply for CGS through Tsinghua University’s recommendation instead. However, the number of candidates that can be recommended by Tsinghua University each year is very limited and is subjected to the approval of CSC.
- Tuition Scholarships include the Beijing Government Scholarship (for full-time master’s program students) and Tsinghua University Scholarship (for full-time doctoral program students). Tuition Scholarships cover full or partial tuition fee support with a duration of one academic year and could be applied year by year (competitive).
- For detailed information and to make a scholarship application, please refer to
- Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens with a valid passport.
- A Master's Degree program applicant should have a Bachelor’s Degree or an equivalent degree to a Bachelor's Degree (or above) in China. A Doctoral Degree program applicant should have a Master’s Degree or an equivalent degree to a Master’s Degree (or above) in China.* Bachelor degree holders may apply to pursue some specific doctoral degree programs or continuous programs involving postgraduate and doctoral studies. Details of these programs will be stated in the “Remarks of Application” in the information of the relevant departments/schools in the “Catalog of Graduate Programs 2019”.Click here.
- Applicants should be in good health and of good character, be well-behaved and be willing to abide by China's laws and regulations, as well as Tsinghua’s rules.
- Language skills requirements:
- For programs offered in Chinese: see the Notes of ‘Catalog of Graduate Programs 2019’.Click here.
- For programs offered in English: see the target programs’ specific requirements.Click here.
- Note: Please be sure to review any additional requirements that may be required by the target department.
How to Apply:
- Applicants should complete an Online Application on this website during the designated THU application period. (Exceptions: applicants for Schwarzman Scholars, Master of Business Administration programs, please apply on the specified websites).
- Applicants should fill in the application information online, upload the application documents listed below to the Online Application System, and pay the application fee online at the time of submission.
☆The winter break of THU will be from Jan 24,2019 to Feb 20,2019. The application system will still be available during the winter break, but online verification might be delayed due to the vacation. Applicants are therefore recommended to complete their application at least two or three weeks in advance.
Application Documents Please upload all the listed documents below to the application system:
- Personal statement. Doctoral degree program applicants also need to submit a brief introduction of their research experience.
- Degree certificate. Master's degree program applicants should submit a bachelor’s degree certificate. Doctoral degree program applicants should submit both master’s and bachelor’s degree certificates.(*Some specific doctoral degree programs require applicants to submit the bachelor’s degree or above.) Applicant who is unable to graduate before the application deadline must provide the pre-graduation certificate of his/her current academic institute. In this case, the degree certificate shall be submitted before July 31,2019.（Click here for Specific doctoral degree programs）
- Academic transcript. Master’s degree program applicants should submit the academic transcript of undergraduate study. Doctoral degree program applicants should submit academic transcripts of both graduate and undergraduate studies. (*Some specific doctoral degree programs require applicants to submit academic transcripts of undergraduate study or above.)
- HSK certificate and score report for programs offered in Chinese (unless this requirement is waived by the department).
- Two academic recommendation letters from scholars who have the title of associate professor or higher, or senior professionals in a related academic field. Please follow the instructions on the online system for submission of online recommendation letters or upload the recommendation letters signed by references .
- Passport personal information page (personal and ordinary passport). (According to Article 3 of the Nationality Law of the People's Republic of China, any individual who was a Chinese national and then acquired a foreign nationality shall provide a Certificate of Cancellation of Chinese Household registration.)
- Note：Use the online application to apply. The online application system offers tools for collecting and submitting some, but not all, of the documents and information required for application.Programs may require additional information, so please check their individual admissions pages as well as the remarks below.
Applicants are required to submit scanned images of all required documents at the time of application. All uploaded documents should be in Chinese or in English; otherwise notarial translations in Chinese or English are required. Once translated, the original documents and certified translations are to be submitted together to the application system.
- Please scan the original or notarized application documents in color using a scanner. Images captured by mobile phone or camera are not acceptable. Copies are also not acceptable.
- The application fee must be paid at the time when the application is submitted. (It cannot be covered by the Chinese Government Scholarship). THU is not responsible for errors made by applicants during the application process. There are no application fee refunds.
- Applications with incomplete documents or without application fee payment will not be processed.
- THU has the right to request the applicants to provide the original or notarial hardcopies of application documents for further qualification checks if the uploaded documents are not sufficient. Applicants shall guarantee all the information and application documents submitted in this application are authentic and accurate, otherwise they will be disqualified from admission.
- A collection of artistic works must be uploaded if applying to Fine Art or Design programs at the Academy of Arts & Design. A published thesis must be uploaded if applying to Art Theory. The collections of art works or thesis must be uploaded in one single PDF file.
- For MBA and GMBA Program of Tsinghua SEM, please apply through the following website: mbaapplication.sem.tsinghua.edu.cn
- Additional documents should be uploaded if applying to Tsinghua-Columbia Double Master's Degree Program in Business Analytics,please refer to the following website:t.cn/RfyJ5t8
- For Tsinghua-Cornell Dual Degree FMBA Program, please apply through the following website: http://apply.fmba.pbcsf.tsinghua.edu.cn.
- For Schwarzman Scholars Program, please visit the program website for information regarding application procedure, schedule, and documents: https://www.schwarzmanscholars.org/
- For Executive Master of Business Administration (EMBA) programs, please visit the program website for information.
- For the EMBA offered by School of Economics and Management: http://emba.sem.tsinghua.edu.cn .
- For the EMBA offered by PBC School of Finance: http://emba.pbcsf.tsinghua.edu.cn
- As some countries’ higher education systems are very different from the Chinese system, applicants from different education systems should refer to THU’s online application website for reference.Click here
- None of the above application documents will be returned.
- Graduate Programs offered in Chinese: (Beijing Time)
- 1st Round: 8:00 AM Oct 15, 2018——17:00 PM Dec 15, 2018
- 2nd Round : 8:00 AM Jan 1, 2019——17:00 PM Mar 1, 2019