The Arab Fund for AFAC Art and Culture was found in 2007 through the initiative of Arab cultural activists. Further, as an independent foundation to support individual artists, writers, researchers, intellectuals, as well as organizations from the Arab region working in the field of arts and culture. AFAC strives to build a flourishing cultural and artistic scene across the Arab region. Further, that contributes to establishing open and vibrant societies. Where young and seasoned voices engage with each other in the wake of the massive transformations being witnessed by the region.
How to Apply
- The program provides annual grants ranging from a few thousand U.S. dollars. Also, up to a maximum of fifty thousand U.S. dollars.
- When the grant from AFAC Art and culture exceeds ten thousand dollars yet only covers a portion of the project’s overall budget. The grantee is to raise 70% of the remaining budget in order to get the grant. In the event that the grantee is unable to procure 70% of the remaining project budget within 90 days of receiving the grant, the latter will be canceled.
- The AFAC grant covers project-related expenses (including artist fees). In the case of institutions, a small percentage of the grant can be for certain running costs. AFAC and the jury reserve the right to determine whether the proposed running costs items are relevant or not.
- AFAC will not provide support retroactively, i.e. to projects already completed. For projects that have already started, AFAC will cover the expenses. Further, that will occur only after the signature of the contract after the selection of application.
- The project’s time frame should not exceed 24 months.
- AFAC is open to receive project applications from all Arab individuals working in arts and culture. Project applications are accepted irrespective of age, years of experience, country of residence, ethnicity, gender or religion.
- AFAC also accepts proposals from local, regional and international institutions whose projects are related to Arab culture. These include artistic, cultural, social and educational institutions, galleries, centers and organizations, governmental and non-governmental, that are engaging with contemporary Arab arts and culture.
- It is highly recommended to submit supporting material/samples for the project you are applying with.
- Applications lacking in supporting material will not be considered for evaluation nor will the applicant be contacted to send the missing material.
- It is mandatory to submit samples of previous works/projects (up to three maximum) unless the project you are applying with is your first work.
- For projects involving training, the following supporting materials are required:
- Curriculum of the training
- Trainers; CVs and agreement/commitment letters from the trainers attesting to their participation
- For projects that include exhibition of artistic/cultural work, the following supporting materials are required:
- Proof of consent of exhibited artists
- Proof of committed venue/space
- For projects that involve work with external consultants, a commitment letter from this second party is required.
- For projects that involve multiple performances / festivals (theater, dance, music, screenings and multidisciplinary projects), the following supporting materials are required:
- Proof of consent of participating works
- Proof of committed venue/space Supporting files/samples of current submitted project and/or previous work smaller than 10 MB can be uploaded directly to the application.
- Supporting files/samples of current submitted project and/or previous work exceeding 10 MB should be included as links to files on sharing websites (such as Dropbox, Vimeo, YouTube…).
- For further inquiries regarding supporting material, contact AFAC grants management team.
- For all projects, include a detailed budget.
How to Apply
- Applications are only accepted through our online applications forms available on our website. Applications submitted via regular mail or e-mail will not be accepted.
- The applicant will receive a confirmation email once the online application has been received. Applicants are advised to follow up on the full completion and delivery of requested material as AFAC will not contact applicants if any part of their application is incomplete.
- Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.
- To apply, please login with you username and password. Once you login, you will be directed to the applications page. In case you don’t have an existing account, please create one.
01 September 2019