The National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies, or GRIPS, is an elite and highly selective research graduate school located in Minato, Tokyo. Funded by the Japanese Government, it has the status of national university.
- You can select from a wide range of advanced degree options and specialize in an area that interests you.
- You can combine discipline-specific learning with advanced training in leadership, interdisciplinary cooperation, and effective management.
- You can study in English, learning from world-class academics and leading policymakers.
- You can take advantage of extensive networking and mentoring and liaise with distinguished policymakers from all over the world through our alumni network of international professionals.
- You will find a rich diversity in our student body, our faculty, and our curriculum.
- Mid-career public officials with strong leadership and managerial potential
- Individuals with strong academic capabilities and the desire to be professional policy analysts or pursue an academic career
How to Apply:
Application procedures differ by program. Some programs require that you apply directly to GRIPS whereas others require that you apply through a sponsoring organization. Please see below for how to apply to each program.
1. Online Application (directly to GRIPS)
Online applications for 2021-2022 admission are now open.
To apply for any of the following programs, download our Online Application Guide 2021-2022 and follow the 3 steps listed below.
- One-year Master‘s Program of Public Policy (MP1)
- Two-year Master’s Program of Public Policy (MP2)
- Macroeconomic Policy Program (MEP) (One year Program or Two year Program) for externally funded or self-financed applicants only
- Public Finance Program (PF)
We are happy to announce that the World Bank Scholarship (JJ/WBGSP) is now open to students in our 2021/22 Public Finace Program Tax Course.
- Five-year Ph.D. Program (minimum 3 years)
- Policy Analysis Program (PA)
- Three-year Ph.D. Programs
- GRIPS Global Governance Program (G-cube)
- Security and International Studies Program (SISP)
- Science, Technology and Innovation Policy Program (STI)
- Step 0 Online Application Guide
Download our Online Application Guide 2021-2022 and read it carefully.
- Step 1 Online Entry Form
Fill out and submit the Online Entry Form. The Admissions Office will send you an ID and a password by e-mail.
- Step 2 Online Application Form
Use your ID and password to access GRIPS’ portal, G-way. Complete and submit the Online Application Form.
- Step 3 Supporting documents
Send the required supporting documents to the Admissions Office by post.
2. Apply through the sponsoring organization
Contact the relevant sponsoring organization for further details.
|Young Leaders Program (YLP)||Embassy of Japan|
|Macroeconomic Policy Program (MEP)||IMF Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific|
|Disaster Management Policy Program (DMP)||JICA Office or Embassy of Japan|
|Maritime Safety and Security Policy Program (MSP)|
NOTE: GRIPS no longer accepts applications to the following three-year Ph.D. programs:
- Public Policy Program
- State Building and Economic Development Program (SBED)