The National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Korea (MMCA) is pleased to invite applications for 2020 MMCA International Research Fellowship. The program is open to the art professionals including curators, researchers, critics and educators from Asia, Africa, Middle East, Eastern Europe, Central and South America,* who are interested in developing and sharing their research ideas related to Korean modern and contemporary art. The three selected participants will be paired with advisors who will provide intellectual support throughout the program. They will be provided with opportunities to visit museums and biennales, attend international conferences, and share their thoughts and experiences with the fellow researchers and artists in Korea.
As part of Cultural Partnership Initiative Project (CPI), MMCA International Research Fellowship is supported by the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism of Korea.
- Round-trip airfare
- Round-trip airfare (economy class) from the airport near the participant's place of residence to Seoul, Korea.
- Accommodation provided
- An individual studio unit inside the university campus will be given. Utility fees are not included.
- Monthly living expense
- 900,000 Korean won per month is provided to cover food, transportation, taxes, public utilities, entrance fees, etc.
- Living expense is deposited directly to the participant's Korean bank account at the end of every month. Beside the monthly allowance, no additional financial support is given by the host institution.
- Korean language course fee
- All participants are obliged to take the Korean language course assigned as a part of the program.
- Traveler's insurance fees
- A standard insurance coverage will be provided by the host institution. Detailed information will be provided upon participant's entry to Korea. Any supplementary insurance coverage can be arranged and covered by articipants.
- The participants should conduct Individual researches related to Korean modern and contemporary art.
- By the end of the program, researchers are required to submit and present the final essay.
- The participants are obliged to attend Korean language course provided by the host institution.
- Citizens of the countries listed HERE
- Aged between 25-45
- Fluency in English
- Application form (HERE)
- Degree certificate(s)
- Reference letter(s) (At least 1 letter is required)
- *Selected participants should submit a copy of passport within 2 weeks after the announcement
Process upon Arrival for Selected Participants
- 1) Health examination documents required
- A health examination must be done at one's own expense in home country after notified to be selected as a participant of the program, and it must be submitted to the host institution by mail. The document is required for visa application. Doctor's statement is required for the participant with a long-term disorder such as hypertension, diabetes, depression, and etc. Please note that the host institution shall arrange to have the participant's health examined with your arrival.
- 2) Documents for Visa issuance
- It is necessary to obtain a valid visa from Korean Embassy in the participant's country. At the time of visa application, the letter of invitation will be arranged by the host institution. However, selected participants are required beforehand to submit documents necessary in full for visa issuance.
- 3) Entry to Korea through Incheon International Airport
- Leaving and Re-entering later on during the program is generally not allowed. In case of an emergency, the fellow must discuss with the institution prior to departure.
- 4) Personal Items
- Personal items must be prepared upon entry into Korea. Any cost for shipment should be covered by the participants, both coming in and out of Korea.
- 5) Creating a bank account
- Upon arrival in Korea, the participant must open a bank account in one's own name, to receive living expenses monthly.
- 6) Foreigner Registration Card
- Foreigner registration must be completed right after entering the Republic of Korea and the issued registration card must be carried on person at all the time.
How to Apply:Send the documents to: email@example.com
05 May 2020 (Open 30 March 2020)