The AKS Graduate Fellowship is GSKS’ non-degree program which invites international graduate students to the AKS and supports them for six months, providing them with a momentum to grow to be a next generation of promising scholars in Korean studies. AKS Graduate Fellows for the period from 1st September 2019 to 29th February 2020 are now being sought. Those who aspire to widen and deepen their knowledge of Korea by conducting research at GSKS are very welcome to apply.
- Monthly stipend of KRW750,000 is provided.
- An economy-class round trip airfare at actual expense is provided within the limit set in the 2020 fiscal guidance of the Ministry of Economy and Financ
- The on-campus guesthouse is available free of charge.
- Fellowship Period : From 1st Sep 2020 to 28th Feb 2021 (6 months in total)
- Extension ※ is not allowed.
- Fellows will designate one of the AKS’ professors whose specialty is most relevant to their research topic as their academic advisor, who will guide them through the fellowship period.
- Access to the AKS facilities including the library and Jangseogak Archives is given.
- Korean language courses as well as cultural experience program are available free of charge.
- An applicant should be either a foreign national or a Korean national who has completed education outside of Korea which is compatible with Korea‘s elementary, middle, high school, and college education.
- Educational Background:
- Applicants must meet one of the following conditions: Applicants are
- Enrolled in a Master’s or a doctoral degree program at an overseas university.
- Applicants completed coursework and are in the status of ABD (All But Dissertation) in a Master’s degree program at an overseas university.
- ABD students in a doctoral degree program at an overseas university are NOT eligible for AKS Graduate Fellowship, but eligible for AKS Fellowship run by the AKS’ Center for International Affairs. Recruitment announcement for 2021 AKS Fellowship will be published in Sep 2020 at intl.aks.ac.kr/english.
- Research Topic:
- An applicant’s research topic should pertain to Korea/Korean studies.
Previous AKS Graduate Fellows are not eligible to apply again.
- Application Form
- Personal Statement
- Research Plan
- Certificate of Graduation and Official Transcripts for a bachelor’s degree
- Certificate of Enrollment (or Coursework Completion, or Graduation) and Official Transcripts for a Master’s degree
- Certificate of Enrollment and Official Transcripts for a doctoral degree*
- Language Proficiency Certificate(s) (i.g. TOPIK, TOEFL, IELTS)*
- A Copy of Passport
- An ID Photo
* If Applicable
How to Apply:
- Applicant’s information should be saved and required files uploaded at gradaks.recruiter.co.kr.
- Applicants should designate one of the AKS’ professors whose specialty is most relevant to their research topic as their academic advisor, referring to the list of the AKS' faculty members at grad.aks.ac.kr - [대학원 소개 About the Graduate School of Korean Studies] - [교수진 개 Faculty Information]
(http://grad.aks.ac.kr/com/cmm/EgovContentView.do?menuNo=3010141000). Otherwise, GSKS will designate an appropriate professor as an academic advisor.
Download the Guideline HERE
15 May 2020