Canon Collins Trust believes that higher education is empowering for individuals and transformative for society. Southern Africa’s development depends on strong leadership in key fields, which is why we have supported over 3,000 individuals through their studies since 1981. Research and knowledge are crucial tools for addressing some of the most pressing issues in contemporary southern African society, therefore we focus our scholarship provision on enabling access to postgraduate and doctoral studies. On top of a strong academic record and a passion for research, our scholars must demonstrate their commitment to social justice and to employing their skillsets to achieve impact within the wider community. Our focus on education also extends to access to primary and secondary schooling. Through support of our partner Equal Education, the Trust advocates for quality and equality in the South African education system.
Our work is underpinned by a spirit of solidarity rooted in our history in the anti-apartheid struggle. As a result, we are committed to contributing towards a new framework for human rights in southern Africa by supporting high-quality graduates to become the next generation of legal researchers, lawyers and social activists. However, our scholars are in need of more than just study funding; they need strong networks in government and civil society in order to contribute towards an open and just society.
- Be a national of, or have refugee status in any African country.
- Be accepted for your first year of study at a university in Kwazulu-Natal province in South Africa in 2019, for a full-time programme (undergraduate or post-graduate).
- demonstrate academic merit
- Be admitted to study within one of the areas listed above
- demonstrate financial need
- Thekgo usually dispense about 5-7 bursaries per year depending on the number of applicants.
- The selection committee decides on the actual amount that will be awarded to individual successful applicants, up to a maximum of R7500.
How To Apply:
We are currently open for applications. Please read the guidelines before applying. We are now accepting applications. You can apply by sending your completed completed application form and supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
17 December 2018