The ZEISS Photography Award is now in its fourth year – and is calling on ambitious photographers from across the globe to present their work around the theme “Seeing Beyond – The Unexpected” to the international jury of experts. The ZEISS Photography Award is jointly organized by ZEISS and the World Photography Organisation. Last year, 12,000 photographers from 140 countries submitted nearly 90,000 photos.
For 2019, photographers are asked for a creative response to the brief “The Unexpected” that is driven by a strong and clear narrative. To be understood in its broadest sense, “The Unexpected” challenges photographers to submit a series of 5-10 images that look past the everyday and address something unforeseen or surprising – whether this is through the landscape and the physical environment, through human expression, emotion and interaction, through political or social causes or something more conceptual. The ‘unexpected’ element could be of global or very personal concern and may either showcase the familiar in a new way or shed light on something entirely different. All types of photography are welcomed by judges.
The submitted photographs will be judged by a renowned jury that is composed of three international experts from the photography industry. The jury will evaluate both the photographic quality as well as the creativity of the works. The jury is particularly looking for a powerful story that is clearly recognizable in the images.
- A shortlist with up to 15 photo series will be released. The winning and selected shortlisted works will be exhibited at Somerset House. Entry is free.
- The winner will receive:
- ZEISS camera lenses of their choice worth a total of 12,000 euros, and 3,000 euros to cover travels costs for a photo project.
- Flights and accommodation to attend the exhibition’s opening at Somerset House London in April 2019.
- ZEISS will also invite the winner to their headquarters in Germany to see behind the scenes and test out ZEISS lenses for themselves.
- The winner will also have the chance to collaborate directly with ZEISS and the World Photography Organisation.
- All entrants must be over 18.
- Un-published work entered into the competition must have been taken between the dates of January 1st 2015 and February 8th 2019. Once unpublished work has been entered, it cannot be entered again as published work in the future year of the awards competition.
- Eligible Regions: Open for All
How To Apply:Participants are required to submit a series of five to ten photographs, including a description of the images, online. Visit HERE to Apply
08 February 2019