In 2018, global demand for resources was 1.7 times what the earth can support in one year and is only expected to rise. Google Cloud and SAP are coming together to help address this challenge and host a social entrepreneurship contest for a sustainable future.
If you believe business can catalyze positive change, this is your opportunity to spark a sustainable revolution. To spur action — and innovation — SAP and Google Cloud are partnering to co-sponsor a sustainability contest for social entrepreneurs called Circular Economy 2030.
Applicants are encouraged to submit proposals for revenue-generating ideas using data analytics and machine learning that work toward creating a circular economy in which consumption and emissions are minimized through recycling, reuse, refurbishing, and repair.
According to the Ellen MacArthur Foundation, the circular economy is a system that supports economic growth, social wellbeing, and sustainability. By 2030, the circular economy could help generate $4.5 trillion of new economic output.
In 2015, the United Nations established the 2030 Agenda that’s comprised of 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Each goal proposes how people and the planet can prosper together. Our contest focuses on SDG 12: Responsible Consumption and Production, which includes establishing green jobs, promoting resource regeneration, and building a circular economy by 2030.
Submit a proposal for a revenue-generating idea that uses both Google Cloud and SAP solutions to advance a circular economy.
Four of five finalists will receive:
- $25,000 (USD) in funding
- Google Cloud for Startups: Spark Package (includes $20,000 USD in Google Cloud credits)
- SAP product access
- 1:1 mentorship
- $100,000 (USD) in funding
- Google Cloud for Startups: Surge Package (includes $100,000 USD in Google Cloud credits)
- SAP product access
- 1:1 mentorship
- Google Cloud for Startups Bootcamp
1. To be eligible to participate in the Contest, you must meet all of the following criteria:
- You must be a Social Entrepreneur (defined above).
- You must apply as an individual, not as an organization or corporate entity.
- You must be over the age of majority in the country in which you reside.
- You must not be a government employee or official.
- You must be based in a country where Google Cloud Platform and SAP solutions are available.
- You must not be: (i) resident in Brazil, Quebec, Italy, Mexico, (ii) resident of a US embargoed country, (iii) ordinarily resident in a US embargoed country, (iv) otherwise prohibited by applicable export controls and sanctions programs as not eligible to participate in the Contest; or (v) a resident in any country that has become, or during the Contest does become, subject to the United States Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanctions.
3. If you are entering the Contest due to your affiliation as part of a company or employer, these rules are binding on you, individually, and on your employer. If you are acting within the scope of your employment, as an employee, contractor, or agent of another party, you warrant that such party has full knowledge of your actions and has consented thereto, including the licenses you grant and your potential receipt of a prize. You further warrant that your actions do not violate your employer’s or company’s contracts, policies and procedures.
4. The Sponsors reserve the right to verify eligibility and to adjudicate on any dispute at any time.
The judges will look for original ideas that can impact any aspect of the global economy, from eco-friendly packaging solutions to sustainable agriculture. Each proposal must include a viable business
model, a vision for advancing SDG 12, and a plan to use both Google Cloud and SAP solutions to achieve the original idea at scale.
As part of the Circular Economy 2030 initiative, SAP and Google Cloud are working closely with experts in the fields of circular economy and sustainable development, including UN Environment, the Ellen MacArthur Foundation, the World Wildlife Fund, and the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data.
How to Apply:
- See if you're eligible
To apply, you must be at least 18 years old and a social entrepreneur. This can be an owner or a leader of a social enterprise, or someone who’s looking to jumpstart their idea.
Members of nonprofits or community-based organizations are welcome to apply too. See Official Rules for the full eligibility details.
- Submit your proposal
Once you’re ready, fill out the contest application. The submission deadline is March 17, 2019 at 11:59 PM PT. We will select a total of five finalists to attend Google Cloud Next ’19 in San Francisco.
17 March 2019