The International Bath Short Story Award is organised by Jude Higgins, Jane Riekemann and Anna Schlesinger. Launched in 2012, it has rapidly become established as one of the prominent short story competitions in the UK receiving over a thousand world-wide entries each year.
Jude, Anna and Jane all have a passion for short fiction and have been meeting together as a writing group to workshop their own writing since 2002. They are keen to promote the short story form by means of the yearly award and occasional events and champion short story writers whenever they can on social media and elsewhere.
The seventh international Bath Short Story Award is now open for entries and closes at midnight BST, 15th April 2019. This year the short list judge is literary agent, Samuel Hodder, from Blake Friedmann Literary Agency.
Prizes for the 2019 Award are:
- £1200 first prize
- £300 second prize
- £100 third prize
- £100 for the Acorn Award (for an unpublished writer)
- £50 for the local prize.
- Stories can be on any theme or subject but must be original and written in English. They must also be for adult or young adult readers. Non-fiction and fiction written for children under 13 years is not eligible. Entrants must be 16 years or over.
- Maximum length is 2,200 words. Entries should be typed, double or 1.5 spaced, in a plain legible font (Pt 12). Each page should be numbered but carry no personal details about the author. Online entries are sent as email attachments. The file name must be the title of your story. (If your story is untitled, the file name must be the first five words of the story). Postal entries should be on A4, single-sided and paper-clipped together.
- Closing date for receipt of entries is Monday, April 15th 2019 at Midnight BST
- Entries can be made online or by post (details on the entry page) and are open to everyone (locally/nationally or internationally). There is no limit to the number of entries but there is a fee of £8 for each story submitted. Stories submitted online must be paid for via PayPal on the entry page.
How to Enter:
- How to Enter Online: Step by Step
- Have your entry file on your computer and ready for submission. Acceptable file types are odt, doc, docx, txt and pdf. The file name must be the title of your piece. If your work does not have a title, then the file name must be the first five words of your piece. Full details are in the Rules.
- Click on the PayPal buttons
- Pay using your PayPal account or using your Credit/Debit card. If you pay by Credit/Debit card, please take care when entering your email address, as this is the address they use to contact you.
- Following payment verification, you are returned to this site.
- Check your email for your PayPal receipt.
- Click on ‘Forward’ to forward the email.
- ‘Attach’ your entry file to the email.
- ‘Send’ your entry to the following address.
- How to Enter by Post
- Payment: Sterling cheques or postal orders for £8.00 (or multiples of £8.00 for more than one story) payable to Bath Short Story Award are acceptable. We do not accept cheques in other currencies.
- Contact Details: On a piece of paper separate from your story(ies) list the following: Full name, email address (or postal address and telephone number if you have no email) and postcode. These details are required in case you are long or shortlisted and to see if you are eligible for the local prize. They’d appreciate it if you could say how you heard about the competition. Thank you.
- Send: Cheque or postal order, contact details, and your paper-clipped and page-numbered story(ies) to 20 Penn Lea Road, Bath, BA1 3RA, UK. Please do not send by Special Delivery or Recorded/Registered Mail – they may not be around to sign for it.
15 April 2019