Prime Minister Shinzo Abe created this initiative to strengthen relations between Japan and the rest of Asia, KAKEHASHI (Japanese for “Building Bridges”), provides full scholarships for 1,000 Asian high school students to study in Japan’s public private high schools over the next five years. Together with 40,000 Japanese teens, these students will improve their global competence skills and learn more about each other’s countries.
How to Apply:
12 July 2019
- If a full scholarship funded by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) to build bridge between high school students in Japan and in Asia.
- This scholarship provided opportunities to Asian high school students to study and be culturally immersed in Japan for 10 months.
- Selected students will study in a Japanese high school while staying with a host family or in a school dormitory.
- Other main goal of this program is to expose Asia high school students to Japanese culture, local communities and industries and as well as Japanese high school students to Asian students.
- Japan Student Visa
- International travel ticket between home country and the Japan, including only one checked-in luggage.
- Domestic travels:
- a. Immediate Pre-departure Orientation, from and to your hometown.
- b. Immediate Re-entry/Return Orientation, from and to your hometown.
- c. Arrival Orientation, from and to your host community in Japan.
- d. End of stay/Program Orientation, from and to your host community in Japan.
- Placement in a host family or dormitory and Japan High School.
- Orientations in home country and in Japan (Pre-Departure Orientation, Arrival, Mid-Year, End of Stay, and Re-entry orientation).
- Program enrichment activities.
- Medical insurance, except for pre-existing conditions, eyes, and dental care.
- Monthly allowance.
- Philippine citizen residing in the Philippines, at the same time of application, selection and preparation for travel and must have spent more than 50% of the last 5 years in the Philippines and with current family plans of returning in the Philippines after the program.
- Must be born between April 2, 2002 and April 1, 2005.
- Be enrolled in 8th, 9th, 10th or 11th grade at the time of application; have not completed more than 11 years of primary education nor received a high school diploma (senior high school) by the start of the program.
- Be among the top 25% of academic performance in grade level.
- Have an equivalent of a B average or better without failing grades.
- Strong academic and social skills, openness, and flexibility.
- Demonstrated Japanese language ability sufficient to study in a native Japanese-medium setting.
- Sufficiently healthy to participate in the program.
- No previous significant travel to Japan on a Japanese government sponsored program.
- Committed to cultural immersion in the Japanese through a home-stay or dormitory experience.
- Able to meet cross-cultural challenges with maturity, humor or open mind.
- Plans to share his/her experience with his/her home and community upon return.
- Duly accomplished Pre-application Form.
- Recent 2×2 ID sized photo with white background attached in the application form.
- Signed Certification and Consent Form by a parent or legal guardian.
- Photocopy of Authenticated PSA/NSO Birth Certificate.
- Photocopy of most recent Form 137 or Transcript of Records from your Philippine high school.
- Photocopy of valid or government ID.
How to Apply:
- Applications can be submitted to AFS Philippines as printed or scanned copies.
- If submitting an application via soft/scanned copies, all pages and requirements must be scanned clearly with 100 dpi resolution, in PDF format and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with an email subject format:
KAKEHASHI 2020-2021 – Application_Surname_First Name
(Example: KAKEHASHI 2020 – 2021 Application_Ali_Fatima)
- And if submitting as printed copies, direct it to AFS PHILIPPINES PROGRAMS in the complete address below:
AFS Intercultural Programs Philippines
Unit 1607, 16F Antel Global Corporate Center
No.3 Doña Julia Vargas Avenue, Ortigas Center
1600, Pasig City, Metro Manila, Philippines
Email Address: email@example.com
12 July 2019