Tokyo Institute of Technology ("Tokyo Tech") launched its International Graduate Program in October 2007 as an opportunity for qualified international students, who may have little or no knowledge of the Japanese languag
e, to enroll in Tokyo Tech's Master's or Doctoral Programs and pursue an advanced degree in Japan. There are two periods of admission to this program: the Spring Program (admission in April) and the Fall Program (admission in September).
With a diverse group of academic departments participating in this program, students should be able to find a department in which to further their research, acquire broader knowledge and understanding, and conduct advanced long-term research in a field that best matches their interests and background.
There is no Japanese language requirement for this program as lectures and seminars are held in English. However, students are given opportunities to attend Japanese language classes on a regular basis in order to better adapt to daily life in Japan.
This recruitment prospectus is for the Master's and Doctoral Programs scheduled to begin in April 2021.
- 1. Master's Program
- Students enrolled in the Master's Program are expected to successfully complete their supervised studies within two years. To attain a master's degree, students need to earn the designated number of credits outlined by their department in a predetermined program of study; complete and receive approval of their research theses; and pass a comprehensive final examination. Students who demonstrate outstanding academic performance during the program may be able to shorten their period of study.
- 2. Doctoral Program
- Students enrolled in the Doctoral Program are expected to successfully complete their supervised study within three years. To attain a doctoral degree, students need to earn the designated number of credits outlined by their department in a predetermined program of study; complete and receive approval of their research theses; and pass a comprehensive final examination. Students who demonstrate outstanding academic and research performance during the program may be able to shorten their period of study.
Applicants who satisfy one of the conditions provided in A or B below.
Please note that applicants may NOT (i) apply to a different Tokyo Tech program before receiving admission results or (ii) submit multiple applications to different master's programs for the same enrollment period. Applications in either of the above two cases will be rejected or revoked.
- (1) Persons who have successfully completed 16 years of education outside Japan or who are expected to do so by the day before the enrollment date.
- (2) Persons who have graduated from a university or college in Japan or are expected to do so by the day before the enrollment date.
- (3) Persons who have successfully completed 3 years or more of education at a university or college outside Japan and obtained a degree equivalent to a bachelor's degree or who are expected to do so by the day before the enrollment date.
- (4) Persons who have successfully completed 15 years of education and obtained a degree equivalent to a bachelor's degree outside Japan, or who are expected to do so by the day before the enrollment date and are individually assessed and recognized by the relevant School at Tokyo Tech as having an outstanding academic record
- (5) Persons whose countries do not require 16 years of education prior to completing an undergraduate-level education but who satisfy both of the conditions noted below and are individually assessed and recognized by the relevant School at Tokyo Tech as having academic ability equivalent to or higher than that of graduates of a Japanese university(a)Persons who have spent at least one year as a research student or research fellow at a university or research institution in or outside Japan after successfully obtaining a bachelor's degree(b) Persons who are at least 22 years old by the day before the enrollment date.
- (1) Persons who have successfully obtained a degree equivalent to a master's degree or a professional master's degree at a university or college outside Japan or who are expected to do so by the day before the enrollment date.
- (2) Persons who have obtained a master's degree or a professional master's degree in Japan or are expected to do so by the day before the enrollment date.
- (3) Persons who do not meet eligibility conditions (1) or (2) but are individually assessed and recognized by the relevant School at Tokyo Tech as having academic abilities equivalent to or higher than that of a master's degree or professional master's degree holder and are at least 24 years old by the day before the enrollment date.
- The Application for Individual Assessment of Admission Eligibility and supplemental documents are required for applicants who apply under eligibility conditions A(4), A(5), or B(3). Applicants will be informed of the results of their individual assessment of admission eligibility in eary November 2020.
- Japanese citizens not residing in Japan, who satisfy the above conditions and have a visa* that enables him/her to stay for a long period in the country where he/she lives, may apply for this program. Applicants who are Japanese citizens should consult the Admissions Division before applying.
- *Permanent residence, student visa, work visa, etc. (Working holiday visas, tourist visas, short-term stay visas, etc., are not valid for the purpose of applying for this program.)
The admission of applicants expecting to graduate from a university or college or obtain a master's or professional master's degree will be revoked should the applicant fail to do so by the day before the enrollment date.
How to Apply:
Prior to submitting the application materials to the Admissions Division, applicants must arrange for a Tokyo Tech faculty member to serve as an academic supervisor. Applicants are required to communicate directly with their intended academic supervisor at Tokyo Tech via email and provide a self-introductory statement and a letter of intent for their period of study at Tokyo Tech, and obtain the consent of the desired faculty member to serve in this capacity.
Applications will not be considered without the consent of a Tokyo Tech faculty member who will act as the applicant's academic supervisor.
Faculty members are affiliated with schools and assigned to teach for majors. Students must select a major from those shown on the lists of faculties. Please ask your intended academic supervisor which major you should select. Requirements for the completion of a degree are stipulated for each major.
Please check the requried Document on Official Website Bellow
- MEXT Scholarship(University Recommendation -SGU-)
IGP applicants with outstanding academic performance records may have the chance to apply for the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship (University Recommendation -SGU-). Those who apply for the scholarship must meet one of the following conditions:
- 1. Be applying for one of the doctoral programs in IGP (C) commencing in April 2021
- 2. Be applying for one of the master’s programs in IGP (C) commencing in April 2021 and be studying in the Tokyo Tech GSEP (Global Scientists and Engineers Program as of October 2020.
- Note: Undergraduate students as well as graduate students who are studying on other types of MEXT Scholarship are not eligible for this scheme, except for those who are in the Tokyo Tech GSEP on the MEXT Scholarship (special admission through university recommendation). Specifically, students who were not selected for extension of their current MEXT Scholarship; those who had the opportunity to apply for extension of their current MEXT Scholarship but failed to do so, and those who will have an opportunity to apply for extension of their current MEXT Scholarship in the future are ineligible to apply for this MEXT Scholarship (University Recommendation –SGU-).
- This scholarship provides a monthly stipend of JPY 147,000 for master’s students and JPY 148,000 for doctoral students. This stipend is subject to change as specified by the regulations of the MEXT Scholarship program. Traveling expenses are not provided by MEXT. This scholarship will be disbursed from April 2021 to March 2022 (12 months). In addition, those who receive the MEXT Scholarship (University Recommendation -SGU-) will not be required to pay admission or tuition fees. The number of awards is very limited.
- Students who intend to apply for the MEXT Scholarship (University Recommendation -SGU-) must complete a separate application for the scholarship. This scholarship is granted on an annual basis, and reapplication is necessary to receive continued funding.
- For further information at:
- JASSO *Overseas applicants Only
Overseas applicants who enroll at Tokyo Tech without other scholarships have the chance to apply for the "Monbukagakusho Honors Scholarship for Privately Financed International Students" from the Japan Student Services Organization ("JASSO").
- Please note that those who are granted any other scholarship cannot receive this scholarship simultaneously. The monthly amount of the JASSO scholarship is JPY 48,000 and is subject to change as specified by JASSO. The scholarship will be disbursed from April 2021 to March 2022 (12 months). Applicants must pay the admission and tuition fees even if you are selected for this scholarship.
- At this point, no application documents are required for the JASSO Scholarship. If you wish for the scholarship please check JASSO on the CHECK LIST. For those who marked JASSO, the Student Support Division will contact you for furher instruction via email.
- Qualification criteria for the JASSO Scholarship
- Your Japanese or English ability must be over the following level.
- Japanese: JLPT Level 1 or 2 or EJU over 200 in Japanese subjects
- English: Over B2 level in CEFR
- Applicants are not required to submit any certificate to verify their Japanese or English proficiency upon application.
How to Apply:
The completed application documents must reach the Admissions Division no later than October 21, 2020 by registered mail, courier, or a similar service.
|Mailing Address:||Admissions Division|
|Student Services Department|
|Tokyo Institute Of Technology|
|West Bldg.8E 212, 2-12-1 Ookayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8550 JAPAN|
21 October 2020