The Young Leaders’ Program (YLP) aims to contribute to cultivate future national leaders in Asian and other countries, to contribute to establish friendly relationship among various countries and to improve policy planning activities by forming a network among national leaders through deepening their understanding of Japan. The YLP is one of the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship Student programs.
- Scholarships are awarded in the field of:
- Public Administration/Public Policy,
- Local Governance,
- Healthcare Administration,
- Business Administration
- Must be nationals of countries eligible for the YLP.
- Must be, in principle, under 40 years of age, as on 2nd October, 2018 (i.e. born on or after 2 October 1977).
- Must hold a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from a recognized/accredited university or college, and have achieved shown excellent academic performance.
Have at least 3 years of full-time work experience in public administration (preferably 5 years or more).
Have a minimum TOEFL-iBT score of 79 (TOEFL-PBT score of 550), IELTS 6.0 or equivalent.
Must be in good health.
Must acquire “College Student” (ryuugaku) visas before entering Japan.
- Applicants who meet any or all of following conditions are not eligible. If identified after acceptance of the scholarship grantees, the applicants will be required to withdraw from the scholarship:
- If an applicant is a service member or a civilian employee registered on the active military list at the time of his/her arrival in Japan;
- Those who cannot arrive in Japan during the period designated by accepting university;
- If an applicant is, in principle, currently enrolled in a Japanese university or other type of school with the resident status of “College Student,” or will be enrolled in a Japanese university, etc. as another source or self-financed international student between the time of application for this scholarship in his/her country and the time the scholarship period is due to begin; or
- Those who will lose their status as public administrators or government officials following the time of application or before completion of the program.
Application deadline depends on the country of applicant, for more detailed information visit Japan Embassy in your country Click here
Click here for more information