Following up on the theme of the 9th ASEF Editors’ Roundtable (ASEFERT9) - “Exploring the Battlefronts of 'Fake News': A Tripartite Approach to the Fight Against Misinformation” - the 12th ASEF Journalists’ Seminar (ASEFJS12) will continue along the same path by focusing on media trust and information.
Today’s media climate is characterised by uncertainty, not least of all in terms of trustworthiness. It has become necessary for the public to regularly question all sources of information (media, governments, businesses, social networks, etc.) and think critically about how digital technology and social media platforms themselves can be conduits of information disorder.
With the focus on the topic of misinformation in the recent past, there is an increasing demand for media sources that are trustworthy. This is exemplified by the numerous media literacy initiatives that have been launched by governments and civil society organisations around the world. On the other hand, journalists too have a role to play in the fight against dis- and misinformation, by equipping themselves with modern tools of fact-checking and social media verification.
ASEFJS12 will therefore explore how a trust-based approach to reporting can be adopted and strengthened by news media organisations and journalists. This is to help shape positive perceptions among ASEM societies of the value that Asia-Europe relationships presents.
- There are no fees involved.ASEFJS12 is fully funded.
- All participants will receive a travel subsidyin the form of reimbursemen tafter the event, provided all relevant documents are submitted.
- Participants are expected to first book their own travels.
Participants have to meet the following criteria
- Be under 35 years old
- Be a citizen of an ASEM Partner country
- Be currently employed as a journalist or media professional (traditional media, online media, freelance are all eligible)
- Have experience and/or projects on the topic of media trust, misinformation and disinformation
How to Apply:
You can apply through the ASEFJS12 Application Form
16 September 2019