The ASEF Young Leaders Summit (ASEFYLS) is ASEM‘s official Youth platform that connects young people with the Heads of States and Governments from 51 Asian & European countries and the political Leaders of the EU & the ASEAN Secretariat.
The 4th ASEF Young Leaders Summit (ASEFYLS4) is a fully-funded 10-month long youth leadership programme connected to the 13th ASEM Summit (ASEM13) in June 2021 in Cambodia. The ASEFYLS4 focuses on ‘Sustainable Development in a post-COVID-19 World’ and incorporates 3 spheres for youth leadership: 1) self-leadership (you), 2) team leadership (we) and 3) societal leadership (all).
The 4th edition is a hybrid project with collaborative elements taking place virtually, in Cambodia, as well as across ASEM countries. We address 4 thematic areas:
- SDG3: Good Health & Wellbeing – Ensure healthy lives and promote wellbeing for all at all ages
- SDG4: Quality Education – Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- SDG8: Decent Work & Economic Growth – Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- SDG13: Climate Action – Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
The ASEFYLS4 programme consists of 3 phases:
- Knowledge Building: Monday, 22 February 2021 – 28 May 2021, Virtual
- We invite youth to an in-depth knowledge journey and peer-to-peer exploration into Asia-Europe Relations, the Sustainable Development Goals and Leadership with a certified course and training led by the College of Europe in Natolin and the Center for Creative Leadership respectively. Besides focus group discussions & youth collaboration, the highlights of this phase will be Youth Dialogues with ASEM Heads of States and Governments led by ASEFYLS4 representatives. See the programme for more details.
- Youth Summit: Saturday, 29 May 2021 – Wednesday, 2 June 2021, Cambodia/Virtual
- The virtual or hybrid Youth Summit will take place in conjunction with the 13th ASEM Summit in Cambodia, pending local and international public health & safety guidelines, as well as travel recommendations.
- Youth will have the opportunity to deepen their networks and conversations, and also prepare an ASEM Youth Declaration that will be presented by ASEFYLS4 participants at the Opening Ceremony of the 13th ASEM Summit to the ASEM Leaders. Engagement with ASEM Leaders and their Delegations are planned.
- Leadership in Action: June – November 2021, Virtual & in local ASEM communities
- During this phase, participants will turn theory into action, and jointly work on 15 impactful, community projects on the Sustainable Development Goals across ASEM. See here for more details on the projects.
The 4th ASEF Young Leaders Summit is accessible to all ASEM youth. For more details see the Overview and Frequently Asked Questions.
No registration or participation fee.
The organisers will cover professional/academic training & leaderships courses for all participants, including certificates. For the selected ASEFYLS4 Summit youth representatives, the organisers will also cover the accommodation and meals for the duration of the on-site event in Cambodia*, plus a travel subsidy from your country of residence to the starting point and back. For more details please refer to the FAQ.
*Pending public health and safety guidelines, as well as international travel recommendations
- Citizens of any of the 51 Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) Partner countries
- Students, entrepreneurs, academics and young professionals - all between the ages of 18 and 30
- Strong verbal and written command of English
When assessing the applications, ASEF and its partners will lay extra weight on the:
- Originality of the motivational statement
- Contribution with knowledge and/or skills to the Leadership in Action Projects.
- Proven experience with and/or expressed interest in Asia-Europe relations
- Current or past extra-curricular (and/or professional) activities that are both relevant for the overall programme and that could enrich the diversity of expertise and perspectives of the overall participant group.
How to Apply:
Please visit HERE for applying
02 February 2021