The University of Vienna Sommerhochschule (SHS) was established in 1949, since then an international summer school is offered every year. Apart from its educational mission, one of the summer program's most important aims has been restoring and promoting mutual understanding between Austrians and Americans that World War II had done so much to destroy.
Today the program provides a multidimensional survey of the present development of Europe and the European Union (EU). Participants will study both the decision making processes within the EU institutions as well as various aspects of European political culture. The program aims at contributing to an increased understanding of the EU and its possible future shape.
Students from all over the world have been drawn to the program, not only because of the outstanding academic reputation of its European Studies program and the excellent opportunities it offers students to learn German, but also because of its location directly on the shores of one of Austria's most scenic lakes, Lake Wolfgang, in the Salzkammergut region, and because of the area's excellent sports and recreational facilities.
The Sommerhochschule operates under the academic and administrative supervision of the Rector of the University of Vienna. The organizers, faculty and sponsors believe that the Sommerhochschule’s formula of holistic learning – intellectual pursuit and physical exercise in a setting of intercultural and social exchange – helps reinforce mutual respect and tolerance among participants.
We would like to invite you to study at the University of Vienna’s campus in Strobl/St. Wolfgang and, like thousands have done before you, experience an unforgettable summer.
- Enjoy four weeks of European Studies and cultural exchange
- Choose from courses in law, politics, economics, history, cultural studies and German
- Meet students from all over the world
- Experience campus life on a lake shore, against a breathtaking mountain backdrop
- Live and study with 100 students and 16 professors - from up to 35 nations
- Take part in sports, excursions, and cultural events
In order to ensure that applicants can prepare all materials needed for the application in time, it is advisable to read the information given below carefully before starting the application process.
- A limited number of partial scholarships ranging from € 400 to € 2,800 are available for the European Studies section of the univie: summer school.
- The remaining amount to cover the sum of € 3,585.20 (€ 2,010 summer school fee, € 20.20 Austrian students' union fee, plus € 1,555 double room accommodation and full board) must be paid by the applicant.
- The scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic excellence and financial need. In order to receive a scholarship, students must demonstrate their financial need by describing their financial situation and submitting related documents.
- Applicants have to be at least 18 years old and must have completed two years of studies at college or university level in their countries of residence or have an educational background equivalent to one year at a European university before the beginning of the program.
- Applicants must be in attendance for the whole period of the univie: summer school, be able to take part in the required number of courses, have an adequate command of the English language and be in good health. Students whose native language is not English must submit evidence of proficiency in English with their application.
- Applicants should also note that certain courses may have prerequisites.
- Application form (download)
- Statement of Purpose
- Recommendation letter
- Transcript of Grades
- Official proof of proficiency level in English
- Two passport-size photos
All documents have to be submitted either in original or as a certified copy. All documents that are not issued in English or German have to be translated into English or German. The translations have to be done by a notary or an official translator. (The transcript of grades can be translated by anyone as long as the translation is certified by the university.)
How to Apply:
In order to ensure that applicants can prepare all materials needed for the application in time, it is advisable to read the information given HERE carefully before starting the application process.
28 February 2021 (Scholarship)
30 April 2021 (Program)